Metadata - People problem

Behelit

MrWebsmith

sure.. just an overall log, or ...

-shut down server..

-bring up server..

-find a person that "needs to be refreshed" and refresh.. 

THEN post logs?

i also can show the before and after of a person but it matches the ones already in this thread above.. no bio, no birthdate, etc.. just a name/image/films in collection.. then after the refresh, everything expected is fill in.

Just so you guys can stop struggling - the reason why new movies work perfectly is because we've updated the movie refresh process to record the person Id's and person images. That is why you're now able to see person images without even using the people refresh. 

For people metadata such as the bio, the people refresh process will download this information only if a person Id was found during the movie refresh. The reason for this is because we have been notified by the various metadata sites that we are hammering them too heavily during the people refresh process. We can no longer run people searches against 50,000+ people in your library - rather, they need to have pre-existing Id's that already came during the movie refresh. The only time we allow a person search now is when you manually use the editing controls, because obviously, those numbers are not going to amount to anything that would make an impact.

So while this works perfectly for new movies, i have to think of a new strategy for existing titles in your library. So stay tuned for that.

• Like 4

Just so you guys can stop struggling - the reason why new movies work perfectly is because we've updated the movie refresh process to record the person Id's and person images. That is why you're now able to see person images without even using the people refresh. 

For people metadata such as the bio, the people refresh process will download this information only if a person Id was found during the movie refresh. The reason for this is because we have been notified by the various metadata sites that we are hammering them too heavily during the people refresh process. We can no longer run people searches against 50,000+ people in your library - rather, they need to have pre-existing Id's that already came during the movie refresh. The only time we allow a person search now is when you manually use the editing controls, because obviously, those numbers are not going to amount to anything that would make an impact.

So while this works perfectly for new movies, i have to think of a new strategy for existing titles in your library. So stay tuned for that.

Thanks for the clarification @@Luke.

As of what beta version was this change made?

I'm in the process of setting up a new installation, and my current people folder is fully populated, but only the name and Ids of actor are in the XML.

Seems like I'd be better off completely clearing it out, empty my library (only 6-7 movies for testing)and as I really add movies, let the people folder populate.

Is my thinking wrong?

Monkeylurv

Thanks for the explanation @@Luke

What you guys do for this community is amazing. You develope amazing software and tirelessly help out us users/beta testers.

I completely understand the metadata sites requiring some limitations. Makes sense.

I think I have resolved this issue... at least for me.

I discovered the cause during writing this to you;

"My question is this:

I have movies which are already fully populated with the metadata but emby is not showing the cast & crew images. Why?

The info is saved in xml and the jpg's are all there in the "Appdata\Roaming\Media browser-Server\ImagesByName\People"

It was the need to verify the above path that highlighted my issue. Emby's default path and the path it's set to use for me is "Appdata\Roaming\Media browser-Server\metadata"

But the scraper I have used for years (MCM) saves to "Appdata\Roaming\Media browser-Server\ImagesByName\People" and I think mediabrowser years ago used to use this path (I might be wrong on this)

Anyway, I have copied all from the ImagesByName directory to the "metadata\people" and all is working beautifully!

I hope this helps others

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Monkeylurv
  • Like 1

Happy2Play

That was one of the big changes in 3.05821.0 no longer respecting the "itembyname" path still listed in OLD/ORIGINAL installs.  If you look at your log or system.xml file you will probably still see that old path listed.  There are several topics on this.

• Like 1

Monkeylurv

That was one of the big changes in 3.05821.0 no longer respecting the "itembyname" path still listed in OLD/ORIGINAL installs. If you look at your log or system.xml file you will probably still see that old path listed. There are several topics on this.

Where exactly would I find these logs?

Happy2Play

In the config section near the top of the log.

2016-02-13 18:53:34.7840 Info Main: Emby
Command line: C:\Users\Doug\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\System\MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe
Operating system: Microsoft Windows NT 6.2.9200.0
Processor count: 4
64-Bit OS: True
64-Bit Process: True
Program data path: C:\Users\Doug\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server
Application Path: C:\Users\Doug\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\System\MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe
2016-02-13 18:53:35.1121 Info App: Application version: 3.0.5886.37598
2016-02-13 18:53:35.2059 Info App: Application configuration:
{"EnableUPnP":true,"PublicPort":8096,"PublicHttpsPort":8920,"HttpServerPortNumber":8096,"HttpsPortNumber":8920,"EnableHttps":false,"EnableInternetProviders":true,"IsPortAuthorized":true,"ItemsByNamePath":"\\\\WHS2011-HOME\\Emby-Server\\Metadata","MetadataPath":"","SeasonZeroDisplayName":"Specials","SaveLocalMeta":false,"EnableLocalizedGuids":true,"PreferredMetadataLanguage":"en","MetadataCountryCode":"US","SortReplaceCharacters":[".","+","%"],"SortRemoveCharacters":[",","&","-","{","}","'"],"SortRemoveWords":["the","a","an"],"MinResumePct":5,"MaxResumePct":90,"MinResumeDurationSeconds":300,"LibraryMonitorDelay":60,"EnableDashboardResponseCaching":true,"EnableDashboardResourceMinification":true,"ImageSavingConvention":"Compatible"

• Like 1

Thanks for the explanation @@Luke

What you guys do for this community is amazing. You develope amazing software and tirelessly help out us users/beta testers.

I completely understand the metadata sites requiring some limitations. Makes sense.

I think I have resolved this issue... at least for me.

I discovered the cause during writing this to you;

"My question is this:

I have movies which are already fully populated with the metadata but emby is not showing the cast & crew images. Why?

The info is saved in xml and the jpg's are all there in the "Appdata\Roaming\Media browser-Server\ImagesByName\People"

It was the need to verify the above path that highlighted my issue. Emby's default path and the path it's set to use for me is "Appdata\Roaming\Media browser-Server\metadata"

But the scraper I have used for years (MCM) saves to "Appdata\Roaming\Media browser-Server\ImagesByName\People" and I think mediabrowser years ago used to use this path (I might be wrong on this)

Anyway, I have copied all from the ImagesByName directory to the "metadata\people" and all is working beautifully!

I hope this helps others

I have exactly the same problem since I installed the latest version of Emby yesterday.

As you can see in the attached jpg-file some new and old actors were added yesterday (all on 14/02/2016). The info is indeed now in het metadata/people where the former info is still in the "Appdata\Roaming\Media browser-Server\metadata" folder.

Luke,

Is moving this people info to the new folder the right thing to do and should we remove the old path? Or should we wait for the newly announced version?

post-2758-0-93208300-1455539289_thumb.jpg

people go under the server's metadata folder, for example:  /programdata/metadata/people - there used to be a hidden config switch allowing for some different behavior. this switch has been removed now because it has been making it difficult to support and answer questions on with all of the extra testing scenarios that it creates. so if you toggled a hidden config switch, then yes you will need to move your people to that location. Then if you want to customize the location, you can do so in the UI by setting the metadata path. the vast majority of users are not making manual xml config changes, and thus, will see no change here.

MrWebsmith

@@Luke

Version 3.0.5888.41903 (todays dev)

newly added movies also arent getting the bio data as they are first initially fetched for.. added Stealth today.. log is below

I have actors/images/movies they are in.. but none of the metadata detail that i would get if i manually refreshed an individual actor.. i can do that, if you'd like and re-post a log after doing that.

let me know.

-MWS

log of running dev server when "stealth" film was added initially to the library.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cewwv5rwf858783/server-63591118376.txt?dl=0

ginjaninja

whatever the task or method .... a consistent experience which keeps metadata actively synced with online providors (if thats the users metadata choice) is a good thing imo.

not so good to expect users jump through hoops, or know a "secret sauce" to achieve consistency with online providors..

"new movies behave differently from existing".. "dependancies on when movies imported on which version" (as potential  examples) not so good.

much better that the design ensures metadata is always kept in sync in every instance (when online providors are configured) imo

suggestion...

for each piece of metadata (who providors are getting hammered/are not keeping in sync in all instances) perhaps the version of the fetcher and the date of fetch can be recorded..that way if a global sync task ever finds metadata of certain age, and its not locked, the metadata gets updated/synced with providor...

the age criteria can ensure that whilst the sync is not immediate...it will tend towards perfection over time without hammering the online providor.

the fetcher version can ensure that bugs in old fetcher versions dont preclude the possibility of the metadata being fixed by a later version within the timer if appropriate..

Edited by ginjaninja
  • Like 3

Question for @@Luke - I am the process of starting from scratch with a new server (built a new one to take advantage of Intel QS with Emby and PlayOn)

Before adding any movies, or TV shows to the library, should I do an initial run of "Refresh People" so that the folders get created, or do I first need to scan in the libraries?

I tried in VM with just a few movies, and though the actor images were being pulled, I was not getting any bio information at all. Only manually refreshing works. I would hope I wouldn't need to do this when adding the complete library.

I'm still confused as to the proper way to get full bio + images for people. I plan on using the default metadata paths.

CFC

• Like 1

Happy2Play

You have to perform a Library Scan first to establish what actors need to be looked for, then perform a Refresh People. 

Personally you should save your People folder and transfer it to every system rebuild.

Edited by Happy2Play
  • Like 1

You have to perform a Library Scan first to establish what actors need to be looked for, then perform a Refresh People. 

Personally you should save your People folder and transfer it to every build.

Thanks!

I'll be sure to report back my experience.

Ideally I'd like to re-use my people folder, but my current server is messy with a mix of old IBN folder with only pictures and new metadata folder with the xml's and proper alphabetical folders.

I want to move to the cleaner layout of today.

CFC

• Like 1

Personally you should save your People folder and transfer it to every system rebuild.

Performed these steps, and unfortunately it did not work. Still get generic person.xml, only way to get actor bio is by manually refreshing each.

These are the steps I followed

1. Clean install of beta server (3.0.5885.0 on 02/22/16)
  2. Set up all metadata preferences
  3. Add test movie library (just 8 movies) - nothing in those folders other than the movie file
  4. Library scan properly identified the movies - nfo files creates, artwork added, etc...
  5. Still haven't done a "Refresh People" task, but a People metadata folder is generated from movies casts - all contain person.xml which have the actor's name, date added and unique TMDbId. No bio or birthdate.
  6. Navigate to a movie using web client, as I do that, the "person.jpg" are created/added in the actors' folders
  7. Perform a "Refresh People" task - completes in 1 minute 16 seconds
  8. The person.xml files remain unchanged - no bio/birthday just name, date added and TMDbId
  9. Using the web client, a manual refresh of actor updates the person.xml with bio
  10. Subsequent "Refresh People" task takes 0 seconds with
    2016-02-22 20:53:33.6115 Info TaskManager: Executing Refresh people
    2016-02-22 20:53:34.0803 Info App: People validation complete
    2016-02-22 20:53:34.2053 Info TaskManager: Refresh people Completed after 0 minute(s) and 0 seconds
    2016-02-22 20:53:34.2053 Info ServerManager: Sending web socket message ScheduledTaskEnded
    2016-02-22 20:53:34.2053 Info TaskManager: ExecuteQueuedTasks
    2016-02-22 20:53:34.3303 Info HttpServer: HTTP Response 204 to ::1. Time: 719ms. http://localhost:8096/emby/ScheduledTasks/Running/857034c8a03477a0fe7f7520f4f11c00

I attached a log.

Hope you can help sorting it out.

Thanks,

CFC

server-63591769652.txt

Edited by CFC
  • Like 2

MrWebsmith

yep well done CFC.. i can echo/confirm these.. there is never a bio/info anymore for any actor unless i manually refresh that person from their page...   not on new items, old items, not after blowing things away..

this is an open issue that i hope we get some resolution to at some point.. or a game plan that isnt.. "refresh them each the way youre doing.."..    the magic of "give it time" is also not working...

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
Chest Rockwell

I have been having this same problem for the past several weeks.  I use MCM to fetch my metadata.  I have had no problems for years and suddenly no cast information at all is showing in Emby Theater and only the actor name without the picture or bio is showing in the web client.  Updating library and refreshing actor information from web client does nothing.

Has a solution been posted somewhere that I missed?

Happy2Play

I have been having this same problem for the past several weeks.  I use MCM to fetch my metadata.  I have had no problems for years and suddenly no cast information at all is showing in Emby Theater and only the actor name without the picture or bio is showing in the web client.  Updating library and refreshing actor information from web client does nothing.

Has a solution been posted somewhere that I missed?

Did you update your custom path when IBN was merged into Metadata folder or move your previous folders to new location?  Post a server log so we can verify your settings.