Iso support not working

jdpg2

For the last few releases I have noticed that .iso support ,  i.e. the ffprobe scanning hasn't been working.  Thinking it was on my side I just did a fresh install of Emby on my server, this included deleting all existing meta data.  After letting the server sit for a few days to refresh meta data, none of the Media Details on the iso are being picked up.  This includes both DVD and Blurays, other formats like MKV etc. appear to work just fine.

Any ideas?

Edited by jdpg2

If you are on a 64bit OS, this is no longer going to work for the time being because the 3rd party component we were using was x86.

• Like 1

ISO still loads in Emby for WMC and fires up the TMT5 player for 3D playback. My understanding was that other clients would not work though.

Can i downgrade?  All of my movies, well 98% are iso's that i cant view now.... Any way to run the x86 instead?

Edited by jdpg2

Can i downgrade?  All of my movies, well 98% are iso's that i cant view now.... Any way to run the x86 instead?

They should still be viewable in a client that can mount them (like EMC or Kodi).  The server just can't see inside them anymore so they won't stream.

We may be able to work out a solution for this in the future but your best bet is going to be to start converting them.

Thanks for the info, but one of the biggest reasons i went with Emby (since media browser and media browser theater)  over the rest was because of .ISO streaming support.  Without it i am not sure how I will proceed.  I really hope someone looks into restoring this feature or provides a way to down grade to the 32bit server solution.

it was always considered experimental and not fully supported. We don't have the procedure documented but you could probably grab this zip and overwrite your installed files

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby/releases/tag/3.0.5786

You'll have to make sure to quickly turn off automatic updates before it updates itself. Also, over time your apps may begin to have issues if they try to use features that aren't available in your older server. That's why it's generally recommended to stay on the latest and try to get involved with the community to help shape what we do.

A player that supports mkv MVC and MadVR/LAV would be a nice little addition to the theater but I'm not using that right now anyhow as I'm still in the EMC ecosphere for the most part. That's in an evolving state for clients such as Roku and Chromecast right now though.

I think that mkv is a very efficient container except for frame packed 3D because the players aren't up to speed for that yet.

I enjoyed the flexablity of having the server stream my content to any of my devices.  The reason i kept my files as iso's is its sometimes difficult to get the correct audio and a huge pita to get subtiltes in the container.  Bluray took care of that for me.  Now i need ot consider what to do with my 15 tb movie collection.

I would like to restore what we had but i just can't say when that might happen due to the fact that the iso audience has shrunk dramatically over the last couple years. 

I enjoyed the flexablity of having the server stream my content to any of my devices.  The reason i kept my files as iso's is its sometimes difficult to get the correct audio and a huge pita to get subtiltes in the container.  Bluray took care of that for me.  Now i need ot consider what to do with my 15 tb movie collection.

I get the correct auto all the time and subs are correct about 99.9% in EMC using MPC-HC with MadVR and LAV after proper configuration of MPC-HC.

Hi Sammy,

I understand what you are saying but i dont like having to install anything on my pc's , i would prefer to stream it via the builit in browser based player or using the DNLA feature on the xbox.  For my iOS and Android devices the apps that are avaialble work very well, thats why i purchaed them, but without iso streaming I am left with waiting for Luke and co to come up with a solution or convert my media colection to MKV or some other container.

Hi Luke,

I understand your position as I write software for a living and  I appreciate the difficulty of supporting multiple branches of code.  ISO support to me, was the one differentiator that separated Emby from the pack.  The prospect of converting my media collection doesn't appeal to me, so now I am faced with finding a solution.  BTW was the removal of this feature publicized when the 64 bit code based was deployed?.  I surf the site regularly  and don't recall seeing mention of this feature being removed.

Edited by jdpg2

The change to iso was discussed on this forum before it was released. 

If no one else supports it either is there any other compelling reason to change to a different product?

Yea that's the thing, nobody else wants to touch it because of how difficult it is. Like i said, I would like to add it back because it was a neat feature, i just can't say when that might happen.

Luke,

Ty for the link to the older code, it appears to work, I appreciate it.   EBR mentioned a 3rd party product was the cause of the issue, was he referring to ffmpeg, because they do have a 64bit binary.

Sammy,

TBH i never had to look at any other competitors because Emby had the feature i desired most.  I am now free to look around.  I am not saying i will because i have been on Emby/Media  Browswer/ Media Theater since the beginning.

Edited by jdpg2

The industry has left not only ISO but disc formats in general behind.  This situation is only going to get worse for you in the future so, at some point, you are probably going to have to undertake a conversion process.

• Like 1

i came across this topic too a while back. Back when most of my clients were PC-based, some bit of software to mount an ISO worked fine. But as we added different devices (Roku, tablets, etc) ISO support became a pain and required lots of server CPU usage transcoding just about everything; and transcoding any more than 2 movies at once brought the server to its knees (i3-3240/8GB). So, I ended up converting everything to MP4 - I tried to use settings for minimal visually apparent losses. Was a pain to encode 900+ movies, but things run much better now. File sizes got a smidge smaller (only 10-20%) too vs raw ISO so I saved some drive space as a bonus.

I would like to restore what we had but i just can't say when that might happen due to the fact that the iso audience has shrunk dramatically over the last couple years. 

That's odd, I would think it would have grown due to frame-packed MVC 3D blurays. I have a 6tb drive devoted to ISO now because of this, and before I never would have touched one.

Anybody concerned with playing frame packed 3D might be interested in the discussion here. You can follow some of the links on that page for more information too, even using madVR and LAV in Emby Theater. 3D mkv/MVC is very close to reality as it is in beta, soon to be RC and emby server will transcode mkv for playback on other client devices.

Anybody concerned with playing frame packed 3D might be interested in the discussion here. You can follow some of the links on that page for more information too, even using madVR and LAV in Emby Theater. 3D mkv/MVC is very close to reality as it is in beta, soon to be RC and emby server will transcode mkv for playback on other client devices.

God, I hope so.

My three magical wishes are MVC (or ISO) 3D playback, DSD audio, and a PS4 app for emby, and I'll be content.

EDIT: Wow, thank you! Going to look into this. I would prefer features to be supported by the actual devs, but this might be a step in the right direction.

Edited by weeks

Well I tried it, and though it seems like Emby is playing through MadVR I am getting nothing when it comes to MVC MKV. Made one with Makemkv real quick and not getting 3D. Could be perhaps Emby or MadVR aren't passing the flag on or something.

You need the latest nightly build of MPC-HC, LAV and madVR to get this to work if you're loading an external player. I don't use Emby Theater so I cannot comment on it. I use EMC (Emby for WMC) to load MPC-HC as an external player. I have not had the time yet to update these three components yet to see how it goes. This is on the agenda for this coming weekend. Can you post a copy of the MediaInfo for the mkv to verify that it is stereoscopic 3D inside too? I suggest continuing the discussion over on AVS Forum because it is a little OT here and there's people there with more expertise than me on this subject over there. 

Edited by Sammy

Yeah, I'm using Emby Theater and it let's me choose MadVR as a decoder, but doesn't seem to do the 3D. I will look into the other, but don't really want to use WMC if I don't have to, and I'll look at the thread there. Thanks

I can understand that but I use WMC for LiveTV so it just fits there.

Is madVR and LAV baked-in to ET or can you side load it?

Since ET is in beta it may not be such a good idea to insert a beta version of these into it but if there's a development branch of ET, that's the place for it.