Advice on 3D playback issues please - (new to emby for Kodi)

byngo

Hi folks,

Have searched and found a couple of threads on the subject of 3D playback but non answer my issues.

I have a number of bluray 3D movie discs in my video library that I have ripped to my HTPC (which is also the emby server).

In past months / years, and not very frequently, I have manually mounted them with VCD and played them with TMT but having started experimenting with emby for Kodi I'm trying to get a more seamless experience.

Most of my 2D movie collection are ripped to MKV format but for 3D I have been saving as ISO files.

However it seems a bit convoluted to get Kodi to mount an ISO (and just in a 3D scenario) and I don't even know if emby for Kodi can do it by itself ???

So, I experimented by re-ripping one of my 3D ISO's with Make MKV into MKV 3D AVC format cause I realised this format can be played by the emby-Kodi set-up. (I suspect in my limited experience I mean Kodi can do it)

Anyway,,, upon starting playback in emby menu I am presented with the question of how to playback the file, I choose over/under because that's the format of the 3D AVC file produced by Make MKV and have to make the selection on my Samsung Smart TV for the same format. The resulting playback however is a rather strange merger of the two images which looks kind of 3D but with what I would describe as also including ghost images of the same frames on screen.

I haven't checked for settings that might fix the image on the TV menu but I know I have played back HSBS 3D files before (obviously making the SBS selection on the TV when playback starts) but I wasn't using emby or Kodi then. Probably PDVD or TMT.

So advice please:

1) Considering emby for Kodi set-up, should I back-up 3D in ISO or MKV AVC? ( I think MKV AVC might be my preference now)

2) What setting could be wrong in emby or kodi for the 3D AVC file not to merge properly (I tried turning off hardware decoding but made no difference)

3) if the advice is to go with ISO files, how do I set up VCD to mount the image, could the mounted image be played in 3D internally or do I need to point to an external player for this format only?

Edited by byngo

mguebert

I am using the 3D MVC MKV format myself. And I have no problems playing back the FP 3D files using Kodi, however you need a device capable of decoding the file natively and as far as I know one of those devices is the RPI2 which is what I use. There are a couple of others, but so far the RPI2 seems to be the best. 

Here is some good reading 

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=221407&highlight=3D+ISO+Kodi+support

Thanks for your reply but I don't want to buy anymore hardware just to play one file type. My HTPC is also used for modern gaming so quite powerful in capabilities. It must come down to finding the right software and settings to decode.

Alternatively, I can just put the bluray disk in the HTPC and play it in 3D natively, (which is gonna take some decoding) but that detracts from the user experience of having a home theatre set-up and a media library to navigate.

Edited by byngo

If you are wanting to get away from TMT or Cyberlink there is Stereoscopic Player which could be launched from Kodi for 3D files.

http://www.3dtv.at/Products/Player/Index_en.aspx

Yeah. I tried stereoscopic player last night.

It plays the file in 3D but was somehow zoomed in (overscanned) but fine in 2D.

If I could figure that out I would just need to know how to ask kodi to launch it for files marked 3D by file name.

mguebert

I was using this method myself with DsPlayer Kodi, until I got the TrueHD and DTS-MA decoding along with the 3D on the Pi2. I ran into what your describing but I cannot remember what I did to fix it. There is an option in the stereoscopic player that deals with aspect ratio's I just can't remember where exactly. I had to fool with it a bit.