Microsoft WMC stops: no chance for Emby to continue ?

Peter Nent

I don't know where you're getting your information, but there's no lack of focus on Emby Theater.

it's a comment based on what I have seen on progress made..

I don't know how you could possibly think that based upon the development process of the new app. People report issues or leave feedback and changes are made within hours, often changes that don't even require installing a new update to the application. new features are being added on an almost daily basis.

Vidman

I think he means focus as in having a clear direction/roadmap.... not the amount of effort , when reading in context about over featurisation

( In fact you just confirmed his point mentioning new features added daily)

Edited by Vidman

The things that are being worked on for emby theater are the basics, that's what i meant by being worked on daily.

jasonmcroy

the only thing that shows promise is the HDHomerun DVR app with the Kodi plugin. IT should handle the encrypted stuff.

The HDhomrrun app is so far behind with what they promised, early funders should ask their money back.

Just as a note, and user of the HDHomerun DVR and early access subscriber, they don't have and never did have any intention of being able to view DRM or scrambled content via the Kodi plugin. That was told to us from the beginning. It will only be available to view via the HDHomerun Windows 10 App and the HDHomerun Android App. There was some reason it wouldn't be available via the Kodi plugin due to licensing issues. As far as when the DRM stuff will be available via the Apps is still not disclosed "but they are working on it"! lol

Yes, the interface lacks a lot of stuff and I don't like it, but the recording engine is solid and never gives me any issues. I feel like the Emby interface is very good via the web client for viewing what recordings I have coming up based on the date and the layout is easy to see if there may be conflicts in recordings. I just have some other issues that don't seem to get worked out so I have to stick with the HDHomerun DVR at the moment.

I was asking for something which is already available right now.

Thanks for confirming that there is still no real alternative (according to the requirements above, having LiveTV as a primary focus)!

My thoughts about Emby Theater:

• I like it and there is quick and great progress in development
  • It is great for accessing your Emby server remotely
  • Though, it is not an adequate replacement for a local WMC installation because:
    • Emby Theater requires an active internet connection
      => Inacceptable: This is a show stoppe for mer: When my connection is down, the entertainment stuff must continue working (especially in such situations)!
      => High security risk: If the server hosting the Emby-Theater content gets compromised, the local computer can become very exposed

• This thread is about LiveTV and WMC replacement, so let's focus on problems in this area:
      • AFAIK all content is re-encoded, there is no native display, even when Emby Theater is running on the server
        All my tests showed massive degradation of quality compared to native/local tv applications
      • Activating or switching live channels takes a huge amount of time (may be acceptable for remote streaming, but not for local use)
      • The UI/UE for LiveTV is still far away from WMC
      • There is no native support for BDA devices
      • No series recording logic with conflict resolution (automatic and manual)

Don't get me wrong. I'm not here to criticise EmbyTheater, at all!  It is absolutely great and part of an important step to unify UI development across various client platforms.

Luke is doing an incredible job here while carefully listening to user suggestions and feedback.

But when considering ET as an adequate replacement for WMC: I can't see this - at least not in the near future.

It will eventually be updated to not require an internet connection. the security risk concern is not exactly true because the code that gets pulled down runs in a sandbox that does not have any access to the local system at all. The only things it has access to are the on-screen presentation, and the emby server api, which will be limited based on whatever features you've granted to your emby user. and this is all using github hosting, not our own servers.

It will eventually be updated to not require an internet connection..

This is great to hear, I had hoped for it..!

Regarding security: I'm not stating that this architecture is suffering from a current security hole.

But the risk is this: If at some time in the future a security hole is discovered (e.g. to break out of the sandbox), an attacker could compromise the Emby backend servers and thus exploit all Emby users with a single strike.

For a detailed analysis, there are lots of situations demanding further investigation. But one thing cannot be denied:

Running a local application (without online connection) is always more secure than any other application interacting with a network.

Edited by softworkz