BUGS: Beta 2.1.0a ; Feature Requests

mmmann

Hello,

I'd like to report some problems, and throw out a couple requests. All of these use the same model and firmware, namely:

TV: UN65F8000

TV Firmware: 1209 (the firmware prior to the 1211)

Emby TV version: 2.1.0a

Emby Server version: 3.0.5818.0

Bug: Random backdrops when listening to music

Description: With a music directory devoid of any backdrops (do backdrop*.jpg files work while listening to music?), Emby shows a seemingly random movie backdrop.

Duplication: Create \Music\<artist>\<album>\*.mp3 directory structure. The <artist> directory has a custom 500x500 Folder.jpg. It also has { artist,nfo, fanart.jpg } which must have been added by Emby. Each <album> directory contains mp3's along with a custom Folder.jpg and { album.nfo } from Emby, no doubt. Start the Emby  app, go to Music, go to any ALBUM or ALBUM-ARTIST etc. and it will have a random backdrop.

Suggestion: I think the Emby app is doing its random "home page" rotation of backdrops and the last backdrop shown persists in Music. If there is no backdrop in the music directory (can there be?) then Emby should use a black background.

Bug: Popping the stack on the last sub-selection when perusing music.

Description: If you go to e.g. Music -> ALBUM-ARTIST -> 'L' -> Led Zeppelin -> Albums-by-Led-Zeppelin -> Coda and listen to music, the [Return]  button does not "pop the stack" on the selection correctly. Returning from listening pops to the list of 'L' artists instead of the list of Led Zeppelin albums. If you [Return] from 'L' the selection goes back to '#' instead of 'L'.

Bug: Crazy crash of Emby requiring reboot of TV!

Description: While perusing movies, Emby crashed, leaving the TV showing the last Emby screen but throwing the TV out to cable television. This is a good one! The screen would not update but volume up-down and changing channels worked (sound, only). The [source] button would bring up the list of sources but no matter which source was selected, the TV screen would not update. [Return] did nothing. [info] showed information re: the cable station being watched listened to. [Menu] brought up the Samsung menu but would return to the same state. Final and only solution: power down-up (reboot) the TV.

Duplicate (?) : I was watching The Shining and after the movie finished (and returned me to the Emby screen for that movie), I cursored down to Actors and right to Jack Nicholson. After six down-arrows, the crash occurred.

Request: Please have a sticky setting to select the default music search A-Z type.

Example: Have a "Default Music Search A-Z" setting that causes Emby to go straight to Album A-Z, or ALBUM-ARTIST A-Z, or ARTIST A-Z.

Reason: I always search by ALBUM-ARTIST and it would be great not to have to go up and across and select ALBUM-ARTIST and then back down into the A-Z.

Request: Please use squares around selections rather than "ballooning" selections.

Reason: It looks like the latest Emby "balloons" each current icon by 110% rather than outlining it. It's very difficult to see where you are, especially if you look away for a moment. The expanding icon selection is quite cool, but fails in real-world usability.

Thanks and keep up the good work.

Mike

chessdragon136

Firstly I apologise for the app crash!! Generally speaking a tv restart is the only way out. I'll look into it but its always difficult.

Backdrops believe it or not @@cmcg has changed recently, perhaps the new one implemented can be defaulted to in this scenario?

Music stack popping -> I'll have a look at this.  

Option to default to particulay music view -> Definitely needed! Again I'll sort

Ballooning: I've had the same thoughts and have asked cmcg to increase the balloon size to see if it helps. If not then i fear this one may split opinion but like you I have "lost" where i was.

Thanks Mike for your feedback,

Chess

chessdragon136

Ok: 

Backdrops: All music pages use the new static backdrop that @@cmcg has added to the latest build / next build

Music Stack: The return to the AZ page now returns to the correct letter. However, the return from music playing to the bottom album list for Album Artists can't be done without a major re-write. The best i have done is so it selects the correct artist on the top view so I've saved you some navigation 

Default Music View: Now implemented with Recent, Frequent, Albim, Album Artist & Artist as its options. Album Artist is the current default

Crash: I can't replicate. It's nigh on impossible to fix something I can't recreate. Hopefully changes in the next build may fix it?!

• Like 1

FrostByte

Ballooning: I've had the same thoughts and have asked cmcg to increase the balloon size to see if it helps. If not then i fear this one may split opinion but like you I have "lost" where i was.

If increasing the balloon size doesn't help can the highlight be added back just for the A-Z pages while leaving the other pages as it is now?  Reason is when using the CA plugin the ballooning looks a lot better with your poster/folder files than it did with the white box.  However, the white box around the letter boxes while in A-Z makes it a lot easier to see where you're at.  Everything is the same color on this screen and the white set the box apart.  I too have a little difficulty seeing which letter I'm on sometimes.  Being old it sometimes takes me a second or two to find what letter the focus is at. 

chessdragon136

I'm struggling with it on almost every page - In grid view it gets lost, A-Z it doesn't show as its all dark colours.. It was a nice idea but it definitely doesn't work universally, and having different highlighting systems on different pages is just inconsistent and messy for us devs.

Saying all this, I currently do not know what the solution is. Maybe a white highlighter on the bottom edge of the zoom effect? Or something completely different. 

• Like 2

I found the original border was better.  The zoom effect is a nice idea, but things look squashed and I often get lost on most screens as well.

shorty1483

White Marker at the Bottom edge like chess suggested would be nice.

Gesendet von meinem HTC One M8 mit Tapatalk

Edited by elysium
  • Like 1

DrWatson

Personally I am not a huge fan of glow - but number 3 is the best of those. Chess is it possible to change the alpha on the non selected posters (make them darker than selected) coupled with a zoom it would look really good and make it easy to id what is selected.

My 2c.

Unrelated to this the user selection could do with an audible feedback attached to it - sometimes the server is slow with the hook up (if it is doing a scan or something) and i never know if the button press registered - mind you I think it would suck to have it through the whole app just on the log in page.

Another 2c

Makes this post almost 4 cents worth  :P

• Like 2

CBers

Can not all items be dimmed a little, except for the one in focus?

That's how it's done in the ATV app.

Other than that, I prefer @'s number 3.

• Like 1

chessdragon136
@ - Thanks for the images, being able to visualize it really helps! 

However, the darkening effect is definitely the right way to go! It is used in most other clients and for good reason. Sadly i think it will be a huge effort to implement as i think all pages will now need an overlay div with the effect applied. I'll wait to see what @@cmcg thinks as he knows this a lot better than I. This was done with a linear-gradient on the same div but its a complete hack which doesn't work in practice:

56aca5a16c27e_Capture.png

@@DrWatson - Can you make a new post and detail what you mean - I'm not 100% sure. Are you asking for some indicator that you have pressed a button? 

Edited by chessdragon136
  • Like 1

DrWatson
Can you make a new post and detail what you mean - I'm not 100% sure. Are you asking for some indicator that you have pressed a button?

When I am on the login page sometimes there is a long wait for the server to respond to me pressing ok on my user (usually when the sever is doing something such as a scan). I was just after a click sound or something similar (the user image zooming out and back in would work as well) - an acknowledgement that the ui had received the signal from the remote (the kids in particular press ok button1000x like they are waiting for the cross walk lights to change).

FrostByte

I'm getting sort of the same thing a lot as of late, sometimes it times out and kicks me out of the hub all together.  @CBers mentioned there is a server issue going on they are researching, but I don't have access to the forum area they are talking about it to post the link

• Like 1

chessdragon136

Ahh for the users page? Ok will probably display that loading icon in the top right and disable any key input until load.

It has been slow recently and I don't think there's been any app changes in that area. 

• Like 2

CBers

I'm getting sort of the same thing a lot as of late, sometimes it times out and kicks me out of the hub all together.  @CBers mentioned there is a server issue going on they are researching, but I don't have access to the forum area they are talking about it to post the link

For those with dev forums access, it's this thread and in particular this post by @@ebr.

For @@FrostByte's benefit, this is what Eric said.

Yeah, check it out because, with my system right now and the current server, the first queries after a library scan is run take forever (90 seconds) such that the clients time-out.  Then you go right back in and everything is fast again - until the next library scan.

This is due to some structural changes that are in-process in the server but it is counter-intuitive that a scan would actually cause the problem so it took me a bit to nail down the scenario.

This relates to all levels of the server release, Stable, Beta and Dev.

Edited by CBers

@ - Thanks for the images, being able to visualize it really helps!

However, the darkening effect is definitely the right way to go! It is used in most other clients and for good reason. Sadly i think it will be a huge effort to implement as i think all pages will now need an overlay div with the effect applied. I'll wait to see what @@cmcg thinks as he knows this a lot better than I. This was done with a linear-gradient on the same div but its a complete hack which doesn't work in practice:

56aca5a16c27e_Capture.png

@@DrWatson - Can you make a new post and detail what you mean - I'm not 100% sure. Are you asking for some indicator that you have pressed a button?

Can't we just just cover the whole page with a new shade div and then raise the z-index of the selected item?

chessdragon136

Really messy and I dont think that will work on any pages which have titles between 2 lines of items. We would have to raise z-indexes of a load of elements to make it work and would darken the background image further.. 

I think for ease its easier to just create another div in updateDisplayedItems for each item and apply it like that. Not as bad as i thought, just a lot of copy paste. Truth is though I don't know enough CSS to do it but I'll have a play now. 

DrWatson

ebr, on 22 Jan 2016 - 12:58 AM, said:snapback.png

Yeah, check it out because, with my system right now and the current server, the first queries after a library scan is run take forever (90 seconds) such that the clients time-out.  Then you go right back in and everything is fast again - until the next library scan.

This is due to some structural changes that are in-process in the server but it is counter-intuitive that a scan would actually cause the problem so it took me a bit to nail down the scenario.

This relates to all levels of the server release, Stable, Beta and Dev

Yes this is exactly what I am seeing - it is like the scan invalidates all the data - the cpu on my box runs at about 90% for around 60-90 seconds while this is happening. It is definitely not a samsung issue.

@@chessdragon136  yup a loading icon would be perfect 

Cheers  

Really messy and I dont think that will work on any pages which have titles between 2 lines of items. We would have to raise z-indexes of a load of elements to make it work and would darken the background image further.. 

I think for ease its easier to just create another div in updateDisplayedItems for each item and apply it like that. Not as bad as i thought, just a lot of copy paste. Truth is though I don't know enough CSS to do it but I'll have a play now. 

2.1.0c implements the dimming I described. Not too messy as I reused the existing background shade div and just applied the z-index where needed.

• Like 1