Virtual host subdomain port 80

iburnthings
Go to solution Solved by Cerothen,

iburnthings

I have a worpdress site on my domain and and an owncloud install on port 80 as a subdomain.

Nginx handles the server_name directives and serves up the pages.

I'd like to get emby working on another subdomain but when I tried it I just get DNS errors and had to edit /var/lib/emby-server/config/system.xml to get it back to port 8096.

I tried setting up a webhop for emby.domain.com to domain.com:8096 but dyn.com isn't registering that I submitted the webhop yet they also say the webhop exists.. I contacted their support team but I want to do this through my nginx server or the emby backend instead.

Hi, welcome. There's nothing in emby preventing you from using port 80 but keep in mind i think most linux distros will require that you run as sudo in order to do that. is that what you're asking?

iburnthings

I can add the emby user to sudoers but I don't know how to configure nginx to do the virutal host server name.

Since I've no idea how emby handles the WAN address setting, I don't want it fighting with nginx over the 'listen 80' directive.

My webhop is working for now but that is just a stop gap

I imagine it looks something like this.

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/22889-emby-behind-a-reverse-proxy-remote-control-issue/

On second thought perhaps I should be learning more about nginx or posting on their forum lol.

Edited by iburnthings

• Solution
Cerothen

I'm pretty sure you won't be able to run both emby and nginx on port 80 (and the same interface) at the same time which is what I think you are trying to do.

What you would have to do is use nginx to reverse proxy emby. You could do it in one of two ways.

You could set it up as a subdomain and reverse proxy the root of that virtual server to the regular emby port.

Or

You could reverse proxy the /emby/ (or /mediabrowser/) location to the same on the regular emby port.

• Like 1

iburnthings

Looks like the other thread had the answer I was looking for. Next time I'll dig a little deeper before I post. Thanks guys.