Question re: watching a show currently recording

neylon79

neylon79

Hi all, I have searched pretty far for an answer to this but haven't found anything definite yet, hoping you can help-

I am looking to ditch my cable because we rarely watch non network shows and am looking to build an HTPC that is accessible via set top box. I need something that my family can use easily as well. Emby seems like a good fit, I can set up databases for movies, music etc. easily enough. When my wife and I watch TV it is usually semi-live, or delayed live if you will. We'll start a show/game about 20-30 minutes after it is broadcast, and catch up while skipping commercials. The key to doing this simply is either having a 30 second skip that is practically instant like WMC is straight off the PC, a very smooth FFWD that allows you to watch as it goes, or a preview box like the roku netflix channel has, where i see a screenshot of every 10 seconds and navigate to where I want to go.

I recently tried Tablo TV with my roku 3 and it had 2 issues that i couldn't accept. 1 was that sports was not encoded correctly, so motion was not smooth and pleasant to watch. 2 was that although i could skip ahead 10 seconds with the arrows or hit >> and fast forward, i couldn't see where i was until i hit play, so it was a guessing game and pretty annoying compared to what either my Uverse box does or WMC does natively.

My plan is to get an hdhomerun connect and use a good PC to transcode to the roku. But i don't know if this would allow me to ffwd with previews before the recording is finished. I know a roku is not as powerful as a fire tv box, so if this can't be done on a roku but can on a fire tv I will go that route.

Sorry for the long post, just wanted to make it very clear what I'm asking about.

Thanks

Hi, welcome. Watching a recording in progress is not implemented yet, but it's on our radar. Between us and Tablo my advice would be to get behind the group you feel most confident in, because the software is going to continue to grow and evolve over time.

neylon79

Thanks for the answer. I wouldn't have expected this to be a big hurdle as it worked so well in WMC. That program seems to establish a program length immediately (say 30 minutes) and then when I start the recording 15 minutes in i see the progress bar half full reflecting what has been recorded, and then it updates as the recording progresses. Is there no way for serverwmc to do this for Emby? Is it related to the WTV container that WMC uses?

Thanks again

• 1 year later...

I too am thinking about Emby.  I would also like to watch a show slightly delayed but while it is currently recording.  I want the ability to Skip 30S fwd and 10S back (or similar) The response that it is on our radar is over a year old.  Wondering if this is now supported.