roku transcoding

goverton
Go to solution Solved by speechles,

goverton

I'm currently using a Now TV box for one of my TVs. Most of my content is 1080 which means it is transcoding everything (because the Now TV only supports 720).

Now... to avoid all the transcoding I am considering upgrading to a Roku 3 (or 4) which supports 1080.

But... if that roku is connected to a TV that only supports 720, will the Roku report back to Emby "I support 1080, fire it over", or will it say "I support 720 because I'm attached to a lame TV"?

i.e. will upgrading the roku avoid the transcoding?

• Solution

Which version of the nowtv?

The white v1 or the black v2?

If it is the white v1, you should upgrade to the new v2. The v2 nowtv is basically the same as a roku3, it has the same chipset and it supports 1080p.

So the answer is no, you dont need a roku3. You can stay within skyTV ecosystem and upgrade your nowtv.

If the roku/nowtv is hooked up to a 720p only tv and 1080p is played this of course introduces transcoding. They can only upscale content, they cant downscale.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

goverton

Bummer.

So I need to either:

1. build a new server so that it can transcode faster (not an option until house renovation complete)

2. replace TV (also not an option until house reno complete) and upgrade to later roku

3. pre-transcode all the content and live with duplicate episodes appearing until auto grouping for episodes comes