Embedded metadata for MP4 files?

guric

Hi,

I've been an Emby user in the past and generally happy but one big thing forced me to stop using it in November. I have iTunes managing my DRM-free movies & TV shows so I can use home sharing to play them on any of my Apple TVs. I use Subler to add metadata to the files so the title, artist, description etc. all show up properly. The issue I had in the past was Emby didn't read the embedded metadata, it just used the filename to guess on what the movie/tv show was and download metadata. The problem is iTunes has it's own folder and file naming conventions and most times Emby doesn't identify the media properly. I have no way of changing the naming conventions iTunes uses.

I've read through the release notes over the past several releases and didn't find the info so thought I'd pose the question here: Has Emby been updated to read metadata that's already embedded in MP4 files? I think it does it for MP3 audio files already, would be nice if it also did it for MP4 video files. If not, any plans to do it?

-thanks

Yes, here's a short 16 MB video file https://www.dropbox.com/s/mu9q1kfklcb4w5j/1-12%20Mash%20It%20Up.mp4?dl=0

On my hard drive it's in the following structure: iTunes Music > TV Shows > Descendants Wicked World > 1-12 Mash It Up.mp4

Here is the metadata I extracted from the file using ffmpeg -i <filename> -f ffmetadata <filename>. I would LOVE for Emby to just read this metadata and if it exists use it to update the database and if it doesn't then look at filename and retrieve metadata from the Internet.

;FFMETADATA1

major_brand=isom
minor_version=1
compatible_brands=isomavc1
title=Mash It Up
album=Descendants: Wicked World, Season 1
genre=Animation
track=12/12
disc=1
date=2015-12-13
description=The girls are back in Jordan’s magic lamp as they plan the theme for the upcoming dance at Auradon Prep.
media_type=10
show=Descendants: Wicked World
episode_id=Mash It Up
season_number=1
episode_sort=12
network=Disney Channel (US)
hd_video=0
synopsis=The girls are back in Jordan’s magic lamp as they plan the theme for the upcoming dance at Auradon Prep.
encoder=Lavf56.40.101

well that naming convention looks fine. we should have no problem determining the series name and episode info from that

I rebuilt my computer in November and haven't re-installed Emby so can't say if this particular file is correctly identified. I can try that but from my past experience, many of the episodes were either completely missing or incorrectly identified because of the sometimes odd naming convention iTunes uses. Wondering if Emby reads any existing embedded metadata within video files before looking at filename convention? If it did it would help lower processing time, Internet lookups, make organization simpler as people don't have to be so strict in their naming convention and possibly some other benefits.

Installed Emby and let it index my TV Shows, still having same issues. The above episode showed up as NameSeasonUnknown. Looking through the rest of my TV Shows I think all of them are NameSeasonUnknown. Anything with multiple seasons get clumped together in the same NameSeasonUnknown.

Thanks Luke, looking forward to the next release. If it fixes the seasons issue with naming convention used by iTunes I'll be a happy camper! :)

Just to clarify, I looked in one of my folders that has multiple seasons and the filenames are listed like this:

Season 1:

1-01 Episode Title (HD).mp4

1-02 Episode Title (HD). mp4

Season 2:

2-01 Episode Title (HD).mp4

2-02 Episode Title (HD).mp4

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, I updated to the latest release yesterday and looks like the naming for episodes that are named like above (1-01, 1-02, etc.) aren't quite working yet. 1-01 and 1-02 etc. are being identified as Season 1 episode 1 for both when it should be Season 1 Episode 1 and Season 1 episode 2. Thanks.

Just tested, no problem found.

Try with brand new episodes. It's not going to repair previously imported files. For those you'll either have to fix them via editing controls, or change a top level folder name so that they appear brand new to the server.

Hi Luke, they were new seasons and new episodes because I turned off Emby for a couple of weeks. Did a little more digging and it seems like it gets "confused" when the digits are the same and sometimes it corrects itself. For example, if I have a season 2, episode 1 & 2 are identified correctly but the following got identified as 2-2 as well as 2-15, 2-10, 2-08 and 2-06. For season 3 episode 1, 2, 3 were fine but following were also identified as episode 3: 3-19 and 3-20. For season 4 episode 1,2,3,4 were fine but following also get identified as episode 4: 4-06. For Season 5 episodes 1,2,3,4,5 were fine but following also got identified as episode 5: 5-12, 5-21. In each case it seems to correct itself after duplicating 1 or more episodes, season 1 was the worst with 6 of them be incorrectly identified. 

Should I delete my TV Shows Library and re-add it to have Emby re-index?

you could try. i just tested a lot of that though and didn't really see any problem. it was all brand new test files.