Migration from Kodi MySQL to Kodi Emby

vmcosco

vmcosco

I am currently running Kodi on two FireTVs with MySQL running on my media server (Windows 7).  All of my media is on the same server as MySQL.  I also have Plex server running for the iOS apps.

I am planning to ditch MySQL and Plex and move to Emby.  I have a question regarding how I should setup my media libraries in EMBY.

Having looked at the tutorials it seems that I should use \\myserver\TV Shows in Emby even though Emby and \TV Shows are on the same local machine.  Its also appears that I should then use SMB://myserver/TV Shows in the path substitution in Emby if I want to direct play in Kodi.  Is that correct so far?

Second question:  If I want to us the Emby iOS app...will having path substitutions as described above, impact that?

Any other tips?  I am planning to get Emby all set up as I want.  I will use Trakt to import my watched status into Emby.  I think I may just do a complete uninstall of Kodi 15.2.  Install Kodi 16 Jarvis when final.  Then install Emby for Kodi.  Nice fresh start.

EDIT:  Two other questions:  I have nfo files in place for all of my TV Shows and Movies.  Will Emby read those or scrape from online databases?  Will Emby alter those nfo files?

Edited by vmcosco

xnappo
Having looked at the tutorials it seems that I should use \\myserver\TV Shows in Emby even though Emby and \TV Shows are on the same local machine.  Its also appears that I should then use SMB://myserver/TV Shows in the path substitution in Emby if I want to direct play in Kodi.  Is that correct so far?

No need to use path substitution if your server is windows, just use the Windows path like '\\server\TV Shows' when you add the collection and it will work fine.

Second question:  If I want to us the Emby iOS app...will having path substitutions as described above, impact that?

No

Any other tips?  I am planning to get Emby all set up as I want.  I will use Trakt to import my watched status into Emby.  I think I may just do a complete uninstall of Kodi 15.2.  Install Kodi 16 Jarvis when final.  Then install Emby for Kodi.  Nice fresh start.

Sounds like a plan!  Make sure you get the SMB password set correctly inside the Emby for Kodi settings.

EDIT:  Two other questions:  I have nfo files in place for all of my TV Shows and Movies.  Will Emby read those or scrape from online databases?  Will Emby alter those nfo files?

Yes it will use them.  Whether it changes them or not depends on what you select in 'Settings->Metadata->Services'.

Good luck!

Edited by xnappo

vmcosco

No need to use path substitution if your server is windows, just use the Windows path like '\\server\TV Shows' when you add the collection and it will work fine.

Ok, so if I have Kodi running on FireTV and I want to direct play from file (not from Emby), i don't need path substitution?

xnappo

Ok, so if I have Kodi running on FireTV and I want to direct play from file (not from Emby), i don't need path substitution?

Nope - if you set up your content with UNC paths (like \\server\share) you do not need it.

vmcosco

Yes it will use them.  Whether it changes them or not depends on what you select in 'Settings->Metadata->Services'.

So during initial setup, should I uncheck "Download artwork and metadata from the internet"?  If unchecked, will that force Emby to scrape the local files?  If I leave it checked, will it scrape local first and just download anything missing?