Can we choose a different player in the Web Client?

hansolo77

hansolo77

So I'm trying to serve up some files to my brother across the internet.  It works marginally well, and I thought perhaps his problem might be because of the web player.  If he's connected to our network directly, he can access the files and play them in say Media Player through direct streaming.  But at his own house he needs to connect via the web.  Is there a way to configure the web client to allow bypassing the web player and use the Media Player already installed on his computer?  I seem to recall this being an option, but I could just be remembering incorrectly.  I did see an option to "Enable external video players" in the individual user's Playback Settings.  Is that what we're looking for?  It mentions Android and iOS, so we weren't sure.  Also, does the Web Client do any transcoding to provide a suitable web stream?  This seems counter-productive in our case since he can already play these files directly.  Just looking for a bit of a hint here.

No, web browsers can't launch external programs.

I would suggest using Chrome because the video player will be almost as good as a dedicated external player. You won't really see much transcoding caused by using Chrome.

AdrianW

Read this thread: Media Player Classic Remote Control for Media Browser

It's basically a little app that runs in your tray which can launch and control MPC-HC after you click play in the Web Client.

Download the version mentioned in this post (and read that post carefully for some important instructions).

Edited by AdrianW
  • Like 1

anderbytes

Any chance a HTML5 implementation could do the trick for video streaming, just like youtube?

And for compatibility... would be incredible.

Any chance a HTML5 implementation could do the trick for video streaming, just like youtube?

And for compatibility... would be incredible.

What are you asking? We already do html5.

anderbytes

What are you asking? We already do html5.

Hmmm sorry. Probably I confused HTML5 for a streaming library (libVLC based) alternative.

By your answer, I assume they work together, then.