Some files won't play

TMan459

Using latest Chrome Beta on Windows and latest Emby Beta 3.0.5818 on Ubuntu.

I've noticed other files in the past, but this is the only log for a file I know doesn't play in the Web Client.

Local playback of the file works great along with Emby for Kodi on a direct play.

Thanks!

emby.txt

the transcoding itself seems fine, the only possible issue is that it's not transcodnig fast enough to be playable. Have you customized the app's bitrate setting? if so then try changing it back to auto. Perhaps with a higher bitrate, if your network can handle it, that will allow the video to be direct streamed rather than transcoded.

the transcoding itself seems fine, the only possible issue is that it's not transcodnig fast enough to be playable. Have you customized the app's bitrate setting? if so then try changing it back to auto. Perhaps with a higher bitrate, if your network can handle it, that will allow the video to be direct streamed rather than transcoded.

I haven't customized any bitrate settings. I'm streaming locally, wired. The server status page doesn't even show I'm playing the file. Every other file I've tried transcoding in recent memory has worked without issue, it's just this one that's having problems.

Ok, in that case, you're not doing anything wrong. I can only comment on what I'm seeing, and what I see from here is that your server is just not transcoding it fast enough.

Ok, in that case, you're not doing anything wrong. I can only comment on what I'm seeing, and what I see from here is that your server is just not transcoding it fast enough.

Hmm. Anything I can do beyond logs to help narrow this down?

A faster cpu will help :)

You can also try customizing the app's bitrate setting, try setting it explicitly to 20mbps. Only problem is, the auto-detection determined that 10mbps was your ideal maximum, so overriding at 20 might create other problems. But it's worth a shot.

You can also focus your playback on files that will play without transcoding, and additionally the folder sync feature can help you convert files to more streaming friendly formats

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Folder%20Sync

A faster cpu will help :)

You can also try customizing the app's bitrate setting, try setting it explicitly to 20mbps. Only problem is, the auto-detection determined that 10mbps was your ideal maximum, so overriding at 20 might create other problems. But it's worth a shot.

You can also focus your playback on files that will play without transcoding, and additionally the folder sync feature can help you convert files to more streaming friendly formats

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Folder%20Sync

OK. I will try messing with the bitrate on the Web Client.

Let me elaborate a bit. I run a i3 4010U CPU, which handles 1 concurrent transcode without issue. I run the Web Client away from home where it's transcoding. I then use Emby for Kodi which is all direct play (no transcoding).

When I attempt to play this file that's referenced in the logs the Web Client pops up the player as if it's going to play, but never plays. It just stays on the movie backdrop.

I went through a few other files indexed with Emby and none of them had any issue, they all transcoded and played as expected.

Maybe this is a ffmpeg issue? I'm not sure. But I'd rather like to help resolve the issue than just chalk it up to one bad file, since the file plays fine with Kodi and VLC. 

Hope this helps clear up the issue a bit!

Happy2Play

Since you have an intel chipset that supports quick sync have you tried enable Intel quick sync in transcoding?  Dashboard-Playback-Transcoding-Hardware acceleration-Intel Quick Sync

Edited by Happy2Play

yea it's doing that because the slow transcoding is causing the buffer to take a long time to accumulate. If you'd like to post the file then I'll test it to make sure there's not something else going on but that's what it looks like to me, just a matter of performance.

Since you have an intel chipset that supports quick sync have you tried enable Intel quick sync in transcoding?  Dashboard-Playback-Transcoding-Hardware acceleration-Intel Quick Sync

I tried QuickSync, and after a server restart an initial file would play, but once I either tried seeking the file or playing another file, I would get unable to play video errors in the Web Client until I restarted the server again. This behavior repeated. I'll create another topic regarding this issue.

yea it's doing that because the slow transcoding is causing the buffer to take a long time to accumulate. If you'd like to post the file then I'll test it to make sure there's not something else going on but that's what it looks like to me, just a matter of performance.

The file is quite large, so that can't be done. This is definitely not a slow-transcode issue, something isn't right. I started transcoding the file via Handbrake on my AMD machine and it worked great. I've posted a MediaInfo log, maybe it'll help!

martian.txt

OK. So I ran that MediaInfo scan on the file in question, and I restarted Emby and attempted to play it, and it worked. So I must apologize, this is a file permissions issue.

My bad! Thanks for the timely support!

• Like 1