Artist listing missing

digital

After installing Plex on my  FreeNAS 9.3 server and then, after four days(!), being unsuccessful in persuading my Arcam CDS27 to play from it, I found Emby and have now got a working installation within a couple of hours.

The only files on the server are CD rips and are filed in an 'Audio' folder in the form Artist name - Album name - song (folder - folder- files). The Arcam offers 'Latest', 'Playlists', 'Albums', 'Album artists', 'Songs', 'Genres' and 'Favourites' listings but the really useful 'Artists' is missing despite several scans of the Library.

Is there anything I can do to get this listing up?

Solved!

It turned out to be an out-of-the-box misconfiguration with Exact Audio Copy described at www.head-fi.org/t/749009/exact-audio-copy-eac-and-album-artist

And I now have to re-rip 30 CDs to correct it.

Edited by digital

I have installed Emby on a FreeNAS 9.3 box and am streaming the tracks to an Arcam CDS27.

Nothing else involved other than a window open in Firefox to rescan the Library as and when I add CDs.

If that answers your question?

Yes, that's correct.

It appears that there was something 'odd' in the Plex DNLA implementation, or the way that the Arcam responded to it, that caused the Arcam to continually complain that the server had been updated when nothing had been changed other than it having played a track or two...

The Arcam was starting to show 'Server updated, Press OK' as I played tracks and then navigated around as it did when I was streaming from Plex, though not as bad so I have acquired a Cambridge CXN streamer.

It's a lot more polished (it should be for the additional £££s) but it will play only seven seconds of a track before it goes on to the next, and the next, and the...

The only oddity I can see is it displays '128kpbs mp3' under the track name despite the files being FLAC.

It will play the same files from a USB drive attached to my Fritz!Box 3390 router and configured as a NAS without any issues. Both are streaming over wireless.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the seven seconds issue?

OK, I'll have a look at that.

In the meantime, I have reinstalled Plex on the NAS and, this time, with the CXN rather than the Arcam, there are no issues.