Emby on Pine A64?

Dizzy49

Dizzy49

I found a kickstarter for the Pine A64 which is a small, cheap, powerfull 64bit board for ~$25

It will run Android 5.1, and I am wondering how you think it would do with Emby installed on Android (vs something like a Matricom which has it's own thing, then Kodi, and Emby on Kodi).

Any thoughts?  I'm thinking about getting a couple if they will work decently.

Edited by Dizzy49

Koleckai Silvestri

I'll be receiving one in April. Though I bought it for OpenHab and IOT, I was thinking of getting the Android SD card as well just to play with it. 

Should work at least as well as the Raspberry Pi. I'd recommend the Pine64+ with 2GB of RAM ($29 plus shipping) though.

• Like 1

Dizzy49

I'll be receiving one in April. Though I bought it for OpenHab and IOT, I was thinking of getting the Android SD card as well just to play with it. 

Should work at least as well as the Raspberry Pi. I'd recommend the Pine64+ with 2GB of RAM ($29 plus shipping) though.

I'm totally getting the Pine64+ with 2GB ;)  That's why I said ~$25 :D

Dizzy49

Good call, Plex is very similar to Emby.  I didn't want to have to install Kodi and THEN Emby.

Dizzy49

Emby on my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 runs great as my server does the heavy lifting.  My Matricom has superior tech stats and runs like crap and I'm pretty sure Kodi was the issue.

The only reason I'm still running Kodi on my HTPC is for the direct passthrough which Emby doesn't support so well.

Personally, wasn't planning on using Kodi at all myself. Not really a fan of the platform.

Get that, but the thread claims that the driver support from the chipset MFG is woeful, and thus there is no hardware decode support on Linux.

Koleckai Silvestri

Get that, but the thread claims that the driver support from the chipset MFG is woeful, and thus there is no hardware decode support on Linux.

Will have to see how it goes. Android would be the primary OS that I would use for video playback. That would be secondary anyway or even a second board. If it doesn't work, I am out a few dollars for an SD card as I have other uses for the board itself.

Edited by Koleckai Silvestri