Library deleted by Media Browser, Anyone else experienced this?

Nobber
Go to solution Solved by Nobber,

Hello, I recently enabled the delete function and tried to delete a film, I got the message after a few seconds that the film couldn't be deleted(I ignored because I thought this was a permissions problem, then I went to look at another film on the same hd drive and there were over 100 films that had been deleted, the remaining 7 film folders were date stamped at the same time as the delete...anyone else experienced this,thanks

Were those other items within the same folder?  Meaning were they sub-folders of the film you tried to delete or do you not have your films in individual folders and they were all individual files in the same folder?

Can we please see the server log from when you did the delete?

Do you have the MBC log as well?  I never saw a delete request come across on the server log.  But, you didn't have debug logging enabled at the time, it appears.

You are looking for a log that includes 2013-12-14 21:26.

Hello

It comes up with a blank page (with edit,poster,sort and filter buttons) titled The Child, and I cant be 100% but I am certain that was the movie I deleted, when I click the poster button it flashes something up like unable to cast object type, off to bed now, work tomorrow, thanks

Unfortunately, the server was not in debug logging mode and there is no logged record of the delete call so I can't really tell what happened.

Have you re-built your library from this event?

If so, can you go into the web client and navigate to any detail page for an item (a movie will do) and then look at the URL and replace the string that follows id= with the following and tell me what comes up?

b9581804-cb90-0385-78b2-1c99a95f578d

Hello Ebr, I have found the log but it's 7mb...so unless someone can allow me to upload rar files or let me have an email address I have no way of getting it to you, thanks anyway

@@Luke I fear there may be some file structure or other situation that would cause us to delete a parent folder. It appears he requested to delete a movie and the server deleted an entire folder of them...

It's possible there was a bug a couple weeks ago. We had code that would always delete the parent folder of whatever item you wanted to delete. However if the item is already a folder rip, then there's no need to go up a level. This was fixed shortly after but it looks like it didn't make it into the release build. Apologies for the deletion.

• Solution

Ok thanks,  no problem, well at least I can stop blaming others in the house for deleting a DVD library ;-) thankfully I didn't raid my drives and have one folder for all DVDs

I really like the new mediabrowser 3 well maybe not so new now, please advise when its safe to re enable adv commands

Thanks

Nobber

zombieagain

Hi, I lost (and luckily recovered) a couple of movies two. I had 3 movies in a folder (each in his own folder) and when I deleted one the other two disappeared two. I thought I was going crazy ;-).

So, if I understand correctly, it is ok to delete video files, but not folder structures, for now. Correct?

Thanks!

it's fixed in the latest release. but the popularity of the delete function is tiny, so it has not seen a whole lot of testing. we're counting on you guys for that.

• 2 weeks later...

I recently had most of the video files in my library deleted (around 50 movies and 50 TV shows, some with several seasons. In total about 1TB of data). It is not related to the delete function above and I suspect it is my own fault but post it nevertheless mostly for your information. It would be nice to get confirmation of what I did wrong though, to prevent it from happening again...

All folder structures and most downloaded artwork etc. seem to remain, it is just the video files themselves that were lost (the .mkv:s, .avi:s etc.), including trailers in corresponding subfolders. Not all video files vanished - it seems a few recently added ones are still there.

I attach the log I think covers the time of the accident, based on folder modification time stamps.

Around the time it happened I was mucking about with the following:

1. Moving MBS cache to the network storage holding my library (due to space filling up on the server HD).

NOTE: In this process I accidentally deleted a cache subfolder named 'temp', which I suspect was a mistake...  :unsure:

2. MBS restarts (on occasion aborting library scans in the process).

3. Various things with the Movie and TV theme plugins (had trouble getting movie theme videos downloaded so tried to redo it):

- deleted the backdrops folders

- moved movie folders from the library folder to a temporary folder and moved one back again (trying to re-trigger theme download)

- deleted theme.mp3 (TV shows)

- cleared the plugin filters

- reinstalled the plugins

- reran their tasks

(some of this was done repeatedly and in various order)

I suspect it is some process related to the theme plugins that caused the problem, possibly in relation to the cache migration and 'temp' folder deletion. I noticed one movie which had its theme video successfully downloaded was NOT deleted. BTW, only this movie redownloaded its theme video, not the rest. TV themes redownloaded successfully, however. The theme video files were not deleted like the other video files.

My library consists of two folders, 'Movies' and 'TV series', with subfolders according to the convention.

Edit: I might add that the "missing episodes" and "watched" features will come in handy when I rebuild the library... :)

server-63523747850.log

Edited by njoak

radeon

@@radeon do your plug-ins delete any video files...?

@@ebr nope, I don't delete a thing from users collections for this exact reason. I've always had requests over the years for my tools and plugins for a "delete and start again" feature but I've always felt too much risk is involved.

@@njoak you never have to "trick" my plugins into redownloading. if you delete the backdrops folders within the movies/tvshows then just run the scheduled task that will have you sorted. Some users have had trouble with mbs not realising the backdrops have been deleted but that's easily solved by running the library scan task after deleting the backdrops folder but before running my plugin tasks

edit: Also, that log makes no reference to the movie theme plugin other than it being registered, and the tvtheme vids plugin log entries read like its doing everything perfectly.

Edited by radeon
  • Like 1

@@radeon @@ebr Alrighty, then something else was causing this. As I said, I was mucking about with moving the cache and among other things deleted one of the subfolders. Not a typical use case, I guess, so probably no need for concern. It is just a bit unsettling when library data suddenly and inexplicably disappears... 

I'll leave it to you guys (devs) to decide if you want to follow up on this or not and if I can be of any assistance. Thanks for the quick and thoughtful response! :)