No option for all hevc content to be transcoded

scalda

Hi,

I have recently been re-watching the Stargate series but the only version i can find is encoded to hevc, which from my understanding emby for kodi can handle but it isn't doing it, i know the resolution is dvd quality so 480p, but you have only got options for 720p/1080p (which i have both turned on and done a database reset) surly it should be a global option for hevc to be transcoded as not all devices can play it natively.

Shouldn't it be codec specific not resolution to what gets transcoded?

Regards

Scalda

Angelblue05

This is a new setting and I have no issues adjusting it according to user feedback. The issue was regarding stuttering, not necessarily being unable to playback the format as you mention. What I read is that most users had difficulty playing 1080p and that 720p was running fine. One user said he had trouble playing 720p, that it stuttered so I added the option.

Have you tested playback for 480p? Let me know, and I'll adjust the setting if needed.

I could make the setting do transcode this resolution and higher. So you could choose, for example, 480p, and it would transcode 720 and 1080 as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Angelblue05

Transcoding doesn't work at all for my files, across m any of my devices running the emby for kodi addon.

Perhaps make the option to turn hevc transcoding on and then have the resolutions underneath and then perhaps a all of the above option so to speak.

I'm using direct paths if that helps

Edited by scalda

Angelblue05

Oh. Well yeah, with playback mode set to native (direct paths) the add-on does not control what happens at playback (so no direct streaming or transcode available).

I have an idea to maybe add the transcode option to the context menu, but this would only be implemented in the future.

For now, using playback mode as Addon is the only way to achieve transcode for those formats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well can't if the option for hevc is enabled, then surly since emby knows the codec the Addon path can be substituted for the direct path for hevc Still allowing direct play but also have the ability to transcode the newest compressions that come up.

xnappo

It is possible, sure, but adding considerable complexity for a very niche feature.

You are on a really slow device like Pi?  Otherwise I would say just switch to redirect paths - or fire up handbrake and to a batch conversion..

It is possible, sure, but adding considerable complexity for a very niche feature.

You are on a really slow device like Pi? Otherwise I would say just switch to redirect paths - or fire up handbrake and to a batch conversion..

Yes this is on my pi2 which doesn't support hevc nor does my android devices which have higher processing power then my pi2,which still struggles to play hevc.

PS. I wish people would stop referring to the pi2 as a slow device which it is not, otherwise it wouldn't be as widely used as it is.

xnappo

The Pi2 has a decent GPU and the CPU is faster than the Pi.  However it is obviously significantly slower than a PC.  It is $35, and it is awesome for $35.