Server on one PC, Emby WMC on another??

liabella

liabella

Hi,

Firstly, sorry if this is in the wrong area. If so, please advise where to post so to abide by forum rules. Cheers

I am familiar with setting up Emby Server and Emby WMC on one pc, however I am wondering is there a guide (or can someone help me?) on how to have Emby Server on one PC (main PC with media storage) and then have Emby WMC on another pc (htpc) and have the Emby WMC pick up the server. Reason for this is due to main pc being bigger and stronger etc

I have all pc's on the same wifi network

I have the server setup on the main pc, with all folders set up etc from the server dashboard

I have Emby WMC setup in WMC on the htpc in the living room.

Issue - I cant get WMC to recognise any users or content to show in WMC.

I am sure I am doing something wrong but dont know what?

Thanks in advance

Cheers

Michael

yardameus

First check and see on the computer if you can navigate to the media folders (or any folders) that are on the computer with Emby Server.  Are all computers part of a workgroup or homegroup?

liabella

Hi All,

Thanks for the help.

One question.

Should the server be on the same pc as WMC/Emby, and then getting the data/media from the second pc

OR

Should the server be on the PC with the data media, 

Hope that question make sense.

I will test the above questions when my kids off the TV !

Cheers

AdrianW

One question.

Should the server be on the same pc as WMC/Emby, and then getting the data/media from the second pc

OR

Should the server be on the PC with the data media, 

I really doesn't matter one way or the other. In my case I have the server and WMC/Emby on one PC and my media on a NAS.

But, it your case I'd say it makes sense to put the server on the same PC as the media - as that PC will need to be on anyway (so the content is accessible).

liabella

So in that case

1) Setup up server and libraries on Main PC

2) Emby WMC on HTPC will see it and server over the network

Is that correct.

I did test that a few days back and it didnt recognise it.  Should i uninstall the whole lot and reinstall it all again.

Sorry for the noob questions

• Like 1

AdrianW

Make sure you can access the server from your HTPC via a browser. Type this into the address bar of a browser (preferably chrome, but IE should work as well):

http://192.168.1.31:8096/web/dashboard.html  

(but change 192.168.1.31 to the IP of your server PC).

You should be able to browse around and play all your content. Once that's working, try EMC again.

Edited by AdrianW

yardameus

Emby WMC should be able to access the server if the pc it is installed on can access the pc that the server is installed on.  Checking with the web client is the way to go.  When you start up Emby for WMC are you able to select the server?

Hi,

The way in which you are trying to set it up is the way i have been using Emby (MB3, MB2, MB) for ages.

A dedicated sever with separate PCs all accessing the media contained on the stand-alone server.

1.) Ensure that the HTPC can "SEE" the Server by trying this: From the HTPC open Windows Explorer.  Can you see the Server PC from there?

- Yes, proceed to 2.)

- No, you need to figure out your network issue.

2.) Ensure that the sharing properties of the HDD's on the Server are correct by trying this :  From the HTPC open Windows Explorer.  Click on the Server.  Try to access the HDD which you store your media by opening a file (movie, song, doc, anything).  Can you access the remote drive?

- Yes, proceed to 3.)

- No, from the Server PC you need to go to the properties of each drive you want to share and ensure sharing and security are properly setup.

3.) If you can "see" the server from the HTPC, and you can manually open files, songs, movies....from the HTPC then ensure you have the naming convention for the HDD setup correctly in the Server's setup window.  One thing to consider in this step.  Who will be doing the decoding of the file?  The Server PC or the HTPC?  If you will have the Server acting as the media player and streaming the content to the HTPC, then you can usinf the "Browse" option when setting up your media location on the server.  If the HTPC will be doing the decoding (using programs such as MPC, VLC, WMP, Arcsoft TMT....) then you must manually setup the paths to media on the server like this :

\\server-pc\hdd-1\Movies

Where "server-pc" is the name of the server, "hdd-1" is the SHARED name given to the drive where your media is stored (you determined this in "No" for step 2) and "Movies" is the folder name on the drive where that particular media is located.

This is how I set up my Server and HTPC.  I have 10 HDD's (over 28Tb) in my Server.  Two are SSD's, one for the OS only and the other for all my Music.  All the rest are traditional HDD's.  My HTPC is an SSD only since no media is stored on it.

Hope this helps,

Rob