Crystal theme for roku client

jroberts

jroberts

Will there be a way to have the crystal theme for the roku client? While the current layout is good the crystal theme is awsome. I purchased it for my media center.

leedavies

No. The Roku is not theme-able. Sorry.

Do you mean the Roku client doesn't *CURRENTLY* support theming/skins or even just custom color schemes?

Looking long-term, although I appreciate the skin/theme from one client may not translate perfectly onto some other devices/clients, I do see the OPs point.... if one chooses a style/appearance/colors etc for ones home theatre system, that style should be reflected on all clients, even if not necessarily to the same rich level as a big-screen device in the home.

Not something for right now, but definitely something I'd like to see supported across all clients.  I'll raise a feature request for this if there isn't one already and see how much support it getss......

Do you mean the Roku client doesn't *CURRENTLY* support theming/skins or even just custom color schemes?

No that is not what he meant. He meant ROKU doesn't support themes. Raising a feature request is of no point because you would have to rewrite the roku firmware it is not nor will it ever be server controlled (unless roku change). It is not possible.

To expand on what Tikuf said. It will not happen with any current Roku product. Maybe 5 years from now it might, but nothing right now. We are already at the space limit just supporting the single set of images that exist within the channel now. It doesn't have room to support any others (Max size is 800KB and 500 KB is code with more features added, the code will expand and we will have even less room for images).

Edited by gcw07

leedavies

No that is not what he meant. He meant ROKU doesn't support themes. Raising a feature request is of no point because you would have to rewrite the roku firmware it is not nor will it ever be server controlled (unless roku change). It is not possible.

The Roku is just one device with little in the way of app customization/appearance.

The theming/skinning possibilities for Android, iOS, BlackBerry etc are endless and that's where I'm talking about customization in clients - on all devices that support changing the color/images etc of your UI.  It won't be "one skin/theme fits all", but if a theme developer wants to support more than just the viewing experience at home, where technically possible on a device, it should be a supported feature.

I'll raise a feature request and then we'll see what the community wants.  It could be I'm just strange in liking the idea of my home theatre visual customizations being reflected on all devices accessing it.  But I've had this question come up a few times now from folks who've bought my themes for MBC and asked about other portable devices supporting Crystal at some point.

Exciting area to explore!!!!