Chromcast Audio FLAC playback not working

calzone

Im having trouble playing FLAC audio on Chromcast Audio. When trying, no sound comes, and from the server interface I can see that it starts to transcode to opus 192kbps even though it is supposed to be able to direct play flac. The transcoding get stuck after a few seconds (red transcoding bar not moving).

However, if I try to play the same flac file on a regular Chromecast it works fine, audio is getting transcoded to opus 192kpbs since flac isn't supported on the regular Chromecast.

I attatch logs from when I first play two songs on a regular Chromecast and then tries to play another one on Chromecast Audio. Im running server version 3.0.5812.0 on Windows.

server-63588634459.txt

transcode-5daa7461-9be9-41fb-a56e-a8878811a403.txt

transcode-0ef9f727-79fb-4a75-bfa5-bb9ede8ce8b8.txt

And the logs are identical. It sounds to me like a problem with the device that has now become our problem and we might just have to take away opus in order to resolve it.

As far as why flac isn't direct streaming, we are following the protocol to determine flac support as outlined by the chromecast sdk. If it returns true and tells us that flac is supported, then we go flac. If not then we transcode

• 2 weeks later...

Playback of FLAC files is now broken on the regular Chromecast too, opus transcoding starts but freezes, no audio is played. Tested in version 3.0.5852.0.

I tested some other apps too see how they managed FLAC on Chromcast. Both Plex and BubbleUPnP can play FLAC on Chromcast (2gen) and Chromecast Audio without transcoding. So apparently it is possible some how. Can you please look on the possibility to fix this?

I cannot reproduce the opus issue. No problem found here. But I will look into why flac isn't direct streaming.

Ok, please retry flac again. To test it out, just reboot your Chromecast device and restart the casting app. Thanks.

• Like 1

Direct Streaming of flac with Chromecast Audio works for me now. Thanks a lot!

The opus issue remains though, for example for ogg vorbis files. He seems to attempt to start the opus transcoder but no sound.

• Like 1

I can confirm that direct streaming of FLAC now works with both regular Chromecast (2nd gen) and Chromecast Audio. Thanks Luke!  :)

However, I noticed that playing flac files with 96kHz sample rate triggers encoding to opus. After a bit of googling I can see that it seems to be a known issue with Chromecast Audio: https://code.google.com/p/google-cast-sdk/issues/detail?id=708

As SvenD mentioned, the opus-bug is still there on Chromecast Audio. Whenever it needs transcoding, the transcoding starts but freezes and you get no audio output. I can no longer reproduce this on the regular Chromecast, opus transcoding works fine there.