Switching to 5.1 surround sound on my 2nd gen Fire TV

rfischer1984

rfischer1984

Yes, I like to keep stereo sound and 5.1 surround on my movies. When I play a movie and it is in stereo, I try to switch it to 5.1. It will not let me switch at all. It does not do this when i have it use vlc for direct play. Only reason i have that feature off is so my 5.1 movies will play while being transcode. My dolby digital will not play right with vlc enabled. Not all of my movies have 2 sound outputs. I just started doing this because not all tvs i play it on have 5.1 surround sound. But it would be nice to switch between the 2. Seems like it just started doing this recently. 

rfischer1984

Can you further explain "will not let me switch at all" please?  Exactly, what happens?

Sorry it is hard to explain. When I play my videos in transcoded state. It will not let me switch from stereo to 5.1 surround. Its odd. 

Please state exactly what you do and exactly what happens when "it won't let you switch".

For example, "I press X button and I see y on the screen..."

rfischer1984

Please state exactly what you do and exactly what happens when "it won't let you switch".

For example, "I press X button and I see y on the screen..."

When I press the audio button it shows stereo and 5.1. They both have a square box beside of them. Neither is checked. I select 5.1 it acts like it clicks but it never changes to 5.1. When I have vlc enables, it actually shows one or the other checked. When i click on one of them then, it switches no problem. Only problem is, Dolby digital will not play 5.1 surround sound on my fire tv. That is why i transcode them. 

Thank you.

The fact that neither one is checked when you first start playing is indicative of a problem selecting the track in the first place.

Can you please post a screen shot from the web client detail page showing the media info at the bottom for one of these items?  Thanks

rfischer1984

I will have to do it when i get home. I may have found a work around though. I transcoded the one i was having problems with and did the 5.1 first and stereo second. If that fixes it, I will just do that for the others that give me that issue. 

rfischer1984

I found out it does it when stereo is the default audio. Best way to see what issue i am having, is to have an mp4 file with stereo as the default and 5.1 as the secondary audio. Turn off vlc. What happens is it will direct play the stereo version and won't give you an option to switch to 5.1 

What happens is it will direct play the stereo version and won't give you an option to switch to 5.1 

Above you said it gives you the option but it doesn't work.  That's still the case, right?  Or is something different happening...?

rfischer1984

Above you said it gives you the option but it doesn't work.  That's still the case, right?  Or is something different happening...?

Ok let me try to explain this better. I turn off VLC because I want my dolby digital content be transcoded. That way it plays at PMC 5.1 surround. But if I have acc stereo as default audio it will do direct play. When I try to switch to 5.1 it doesnt let me. I think it has something to do with switching from direct to transcoding on the fly? Idk.