Transcode Not Triggering

djotaku

I'm posting here for some ideas on the best way to proceed. On my living room computer Emby is not transcoding files to make sure that the bitrate is sufficient for stutter-free playback. My guess is that Kodi (on that computer) is starting up by filling the cache, this makes Emby think that it can handle the file's stored bitrate. Once the cache empties, it can't be filled fast enough with the connection.

Would be best solution be to turn off caching in Kodi or to lower the bitrate in Emby? Right now I have it set to 100Mb/s. The computer's connected through powerline ethernet back to the office which has the Emby server connected via regular ethernet to the switch coming from the powerline. The powerline ethernet is supposed to support something higher than 100Mb/s, but it definitely wavers (probably based on which devices are using electricity at the time). The files it has trouble with are DVDs which I've ripped, but not transcoded, assuming that either a) the bitrate would be low enough from a DVD or that if it wasn't B) Emby would take care of that. I can confirm no transcoding is taking place because when the file is being accessed and I run "top" on the server, ffmpeg is not running.

@@xnappo, @@djotaku

Max Bitrate is under Play settings only when play from http is selected its default is 100MBit and can be lowered as required

Edited by Delphi
  • Like 1

Yes. 

Somewhat related, if you absolutely can't run CAT5, this works pretty well:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/36-home-v-distribution/1145636-actiontec-mi424wr-cheap-moca-bridge-all.html

In my experience, powerline is pretty crappy..

MOCA looks nice. Without doing any Googling at this moment - that forum post seems to say that it's only old Verizon hardware from eBay.

Powerline works well overall - at least the ones I have. The only BIG issue is that they seem to need to be unplugged once a month. Really, I want to run CAT5e or CAT6, but I don't have a 1-story house or I'd do it myself. The small issue, as I mentioned here, is that sometimes it doesn't give its max throughput.

Edited by djotaku

xnappo

Well, I have a two story and managed to do it myself - you definitely have to get creative figuring out how to get between the floors though.  I hijacked one phone line (luckily new enough that the phone lines where cat5) and used some space next to the chimney :)

Anyway - the Verizon Moca stuff is just cheap - you can get dedicated MOCA for about $100...