I need options people

Strudo76

Strudo76

Hey there

I'm considering an upgrade to my NAS, and was thinking about compatibility and usability with Emby. This isn't an urgent matter, so waiting is an option.

My current set up is

A Synology DS212j, (which I understand will be rubbish for running Emby server) that holds my media files in shared folders,

A PC connected to the TV running the WMC Emby plugin, also running the Emby server, and also used for recording OTA TV with WMC.

My goal is to have a server running all the time, so I can start setting up access from other devices/TVs around the house.

Is it worth getting a current Synology 2 bay NAS to run the Emby server? Are they up to the task, or better to wait for better hardware?

Thinking of replacing the PC with a RPi (2 or 3). Will either of those devices work well for displaying media? Do they have remote control options? I also have a Chromecast, but playback seems choppy. Then I'd use the current PC a simply a recording device in a cupboard somewhere.

Also a consideration is replacing the PC with a new HTPC/Emby Server/PVR PC, as long as I could make one fairly low power draw while idle. Then just use my current NAS for personal files.

I kind of like the replacement PC option (to keep the media and server together), but keeping up with tech means moving to Win10 and losing WMC. I've tried the Emby Theatre a while back (several months), and I'm not sure I enjoyed the experience. I'd sort of require to set it up to function like the WMC plugin, as my kids use it and are accustomed to the WMC way of doing things.

Are there better options I'm overlooking? Suggestions please!

Gernash

Emby LOVES transcoding so a PC Xpenology is cheaper 

but

imho win7 32bit (64bit can be done with heavy codec modding) WMC

connected to a file share on your NAS

Live TV either pcie tuners or HD-home run (I think this is the better option)

the Emby way now is with Emby theater on win 10 but it's updating process is not wife approved.(uninstalling and reinstalling every new version)

And to use all the feature remember to purchase the product.

Frontend / Backend option

android tv/Kodi with Emby plugin

Xpenology backend decent processor i5 or greater

tuners HD-Homerun

If you are going to run I main tv and a couple of tablets and phones then just have server on main pc and NAS for data store

IF you are going to run 3+ TV with live tv + Live Streaming then go frontend/backend

Have a play with http://openelec.tv/and the emby plugin with your current setup if PC/Rasbery Pi based client.

or

get a chrome cast and see if that works for you (cheap option)

limitation factor is all the transcoding (CPU Usage)

Edited by Gernash

NomadCF

I've got a synology 1511+  that I've been experimenting with... If your media is all direct playable then it's not bad.  If you need basically any trans-coding then I would look else where. And really for the cost of these things I would recommend you look else where anyways.  You'd get way more bang for the buck out a used server then you could ever get outta of a synology or other "desktop" class hardware.  

IMHO the only real benefit of any synology product is the "ready to install" packages with a simplified GUI for them. And as pet-pev of mine they're how pushing the brtfs instead of zfs (yes! I am a zfs fan boy..) with their "new" OS.