Chromecast Aspect Ratio

elgandino

elgandino

I have only just started using Emby but noticed a problem and wondered if other people have the same problem.

Im using emby server on Windows, IOS app to cast to Chromecast on my TV

When i cast a movie the aspect ratio is fine 16.9 with black bars which it should

If the first thing i cast is a TV show its fine with 16.9 with black bars but if i stop it and cast another TV show its full screen and stretchs the image.

Unless i turn the casting off and restart chromecast all TV shows are full screen and its anoying.

It seems like i can only watch 1 episode of TV if thats the first thing i cast.

But strange things is all Movies stay as the correct aspect ratio, when i check the information for all TV shows and Movies they are the same 16.9

Is there a setting im missing?

elgandino

Just did another test, i watched a film on my TV using my usual WDTV media player, and the film was fine with full Widescreen with Black bars on top and bottom. 

Watched the same film on chromecast via Emby and it has zoomed in so im missing the left and right of the film.

I must be doing something wrong why wont it play in the default normal Radio that the film is in

elgandino

Here is my server log i also noticed that all the other logs say transcode does that mean they the files are being transcoded and not direct play?

Is it something to do with the bitrates. my App settings are

Max streaming bitrate - auto

Max chromecast bitrate - 10mbps

Enable chromecaste ac3 passthrough - yes

hope this helps

server-63588476590.txt

shorty1483

No, @@Luke. Just watched some stuff at the Weekend and the resolutions are as they should. But I will recheck tonight after work. Perhaps some weird Overscan Setting in TV @@elgandino ?

elgandino

with chrome cast i don't think i can change the TV resolution settings. i have a samsung 40" tv and its always set to auto or 16:9

Also how do i know if its direct play or not? is it better to direct play then transcode? do i need to change settings to testthis?

Edited by elgandino

shorty1483

with chrome cast i don't think i can change the TV resolution settings. i have a samsung 40" tv and its always set to auto or 16:9

Also how do i know if its direct play or not? is it better to direct play then transcode? do i need to change settings to testthis?

1. You can check in Server Dashboard. Maximum for CC is Direct Streaming.

2. For sure Direct Playing or Streaming is better for server, no CPU power, full quality of the file. 

3. Which Samsung Series are you using? If it's E-Series or newer, you could use the Samsung app.

4. Lots of TV's have the option the scale the TV picture to the viewers delight (e.g. cropping of the sides to eliminate the black bars in 21:9 movies. This has nothing to do with the CC. That was just my question.

shorty1483

Ok did a recheck and i cannot repoduce the issue.

Are you sure the TV Shows which are not scaling proper are 2.40:1 scaled?

elgandino

ill do more testing, 

1. You can check in Server Dashboard. Maximum for CC is Direct Streaming.

How can i check this and how do i know if its direct streaming?

elgandino

Here is the details of a file that i watched while streaming from the ios app to chromecast

There is also a transcoding log so im guessing its being transcoded and not direct streamed

This was full scrren with no black bars, when i watch the same file on my media player direct its correct widescreen format

How can i make it direct stream? 

Will that fix the issue with the aspect ratio?

post-105892-0-59004600-1454021590_thumb.png

The media info is cut off at the bottom. Can you please supply the rest as well as the transcoding log? Thanks.

it's stream copying the video as-is without transcoding. only the audio is being transcoded. So the server is not modfying the video stream in any way.

Also I would update to the latest version of emby server.

@ I've made the change. Please reboot your CC and let me know if you see the audio popping when transcoding audio to aac.

shorty1483

@ I've made the change. Please reboot your CC and let me know if you see the audio popping when transcoding audio to aac.

Sadly, the crackling/audio popping is back :( when Server transcodes to aac.

@ i've updated chromecast to use ac3 as the transcoding audio codec, which means now you at least get ac3 when for example dts isn't supported. this is relying on CC detecting ac3 support which as i recall doesn't work when plugged into your TV, but it does with your receiver

shorty1483

@@Luke Now everything's working again. I don't know what was the problem the one time in the past, b ut my TV itself is capable of AC3 (also Multichannel). Everything's working now ;) DTS/MP3toAC3 and Passthrough,