Sample files getting treated as new content

af22

lynchmob

Hi Luke,

Same as somy for me. I have a movie directory with following format

Movies\Movie Name\Movie Name.avi

Movies\Movie Name\Movie Name [subtitles]-XXX.rar

These both show up as movies in the database - a filter would be a neat solution.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 years later...
Lhreaper

i will have the server ignore them if someone can answer my question about an example file name

My only problem with this is I have an episode that is named Free Sample. And it is getting excluded when downloading metadata and wont add to the server. Can you please help

Edited by Lhreaper

Ok unfortunately right now there's no way to control this. As a temporary workaround you'd have to just rename the file to remove the word sample from the name. Please let us know if this helps. Thanks.

Lhreaper

Ok unfortunately right now there's no way to control this. As a temporary workaround you'd have to just rename the file to remove the word sample from the name. Please let us know if this helps. Thanks.

Yes that worked.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...

Just checking in on this old topic, is there any filters available in current version to control this "sample problem"? Like to deny *.sample.mkv and *-sample.mkv ?
Probably other usecases for a filter :)

It's really better to just remove them with a script or by hand in staging of your media before it's added to Emby.

There really is no need to do this in Emby at all as it can be done outside of Emby via script to either delete or rename the file/folder with a dot "." at the beginning of the name.

Well for my part emby is presented a RO filesystem and I rather not delete stuff to avoid samples showing in emby.

Just wanted to check if there was some config file or something to make emby skip certain files/dirs which would resolve this and potentially other things one would like to skip all together.

The simple fix is to script deleting or just sticking a "dot" at the beginning of items you don't want scanned.

This could easily be done via script as any user you want that does have write access regardless of how the file system is presented to Emby.

...And related to this, it induces a problem that I have in music where I have an Artist whose real name is "Joe Sample" (Jazz artist now deceased) and I can't use his name in the Emby library because the server is commanded to ignore the word "sample" in any file names.  I have had to rename the artist and all of his song files with a false name just to get his songs to show up in the library.  Something has to be done about this because Emby is the only library handler that has this problem.  All other music and media players that I use have no problem with using the word "sample" in any file name structure. There has to be an exception made.  I don't have any movies, or tv shows that have the word sample in the file name but I can imagine that one exists somewhere, so it means that in its current implementation a user would have trouble getting that file identified and recognized in Emby, available to use,  as well.

Just FYI

From a purely personal BIAS, I'd rather not have Emby filtering stuff.  Some things should be the responsibility of the user or curator to only feed valid files to the system.

This particular problem is super easy to solve outside of Emby that we shouldn't cause other problems like you experience with "Joe Sample" or "Free Samples (2012)" etc..

But that's just my very personal vote.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cayars said:

From a purely personal BIAS, I'd rather not have Emby filtering stuff.  Some things should be the responsibility of the user or curator to only feed valid files to the system.

This particular problem is super easy to solve outside of Emby that we shouldn't cause other problems like you experience with "Joe Sample" or "Free Samples (2012)" etc..

But that's just my very personal vote.

^ +1

For me I'd like to have the choice from embys side as I dont want to rely on filesystem changes. In my case the filesystem is RO on the server where emby runs, yes I could make changes on the actual filesystem, just as well as a filter option in emby could do it. I'd like to leave the sample as it is, but just skip it during library scan.

Fully understand if thats not a priority for the emby team however just thought options to skip certain things during scan could be useful.

Other usecases could be to skip *.720p.* in a mixed filesystem or skip Various* from a music library scan. Flexibility and control inside emby without changing files and dirs.

You can use Emby to do a lot of things like filter 720, 1080 or 4K files or to only give access to 4K to certain users.  But you have to fit the media to the software from the stand point disc layout.  You can for example have 720 paths, 1080 paths and 4K paths and then grant access to these locations to different users.  Takes a bit of fore thought to do this but worth it long term when you want a nice system with a lot of control.  Usually if you follow the knowledge base good things happen.

That's not to say this feature request is bad as it isn't but if we want to skip "sample" it should be configurable and probably off by default.  It could even be a text field where the user/admin has to type in the phase used to filter such as "*sample*", "*720p*" or similar.

6 minutes ago, cayars said:

You can use Emby to do a lot of things like filter 720, 1080 or 4K files or to only give access to 4K to certain users.  But you have to fit the media to the software from the stand point disc layout.  You can for example have 720 paths, 1080 paths and 4K paths and then grant access to these locations to different users.  Takes a bit of fore thought to do this but worth it long term when you want a nice system with a lot of control.  Usually if you follow the knowledge base good things happen.

That's not to say this feature request is bad as it isn't but if we want to skip "sample" it should be configurable and probably off by default.  It could even be a text field where the user/admin has to type in the phase used to filter such as "*sample*", "*720p*" or similar.

Indeed, off by default and even some skip_files = "*.sample.mkv *-sample.mkv *720p*" in a config file would be more than good enough :)

• 4 months later...

Have emby team removed the handling of .sample. etc in recent versions for movies?
I just did a complete reinstall recently among other new issues I did have before, I now have a lot of the movie "Sample" or "Sample People".

Is there now some option to ignore Any/path/dir/"Sample" or *.sample.* and similar?
This used to be quite ok, but after reinstall with latest emby this doesnt look good on Movies, for TV it seems ok..

3 minutes ago, ossii said:

Have emby team removed the handling of .sample. etc in recent versions for movies?
I just did a complete reinstall recently among other new issues I did have before, I now have a lot of the movie "Sample" or "Sample People".

Is there now some option to ignore Any/path/dir/"Sample" or *.sample.* and similar?
This used to be quite ok, but after reinstall with latest emby this doesnt look good on Movies, for TV it seems ok..

Hi there, can you please go over an example? Thanks.

10 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi there, can you please go over an example? Thanks.

Goodfellas.1990.2160p.UHD.BluRay.X265-IAMABLE/Sample/goodfellas.1990.2160p.uhd.bluray.x265-iamable-sample.mkv
Pitch.Black.2000.DC.2160p.UHD.BluRay.X265-IAMABLE/Sample/pitch.black.2000.dc.2160p.uhd.bluray.x265-iamable.sample.mkv

Maybe a max-depth option would resolve it, so it doesn't even dive in to the "/Sample/"

If those files are big enough to show up as videos they will get treated as movies.

You don't want those there.

Happy2Play

There is this in the library option.xml

<SampleIgnoreSize>314572800</SampleIgnoreSize>

• Like 2

@Luke do I need to start a separate topic in feature request or other to track the issue that I'm having in music where Emby excludes artists whose names include 'Sample' from showing in the library?