Roku crashes when I select Emby channel

apollohollon
Go to solution Solved by speechles,

apollohollon

Hello,

When I select the Emby channel on my Roku it acts like it's loading for 30 seconds then crashes back to the Roku home screen, works fine on my other devices. It started last night out of nowhere right in-between switching shows. Really sucked lol. I've attached my server log file, hoping for some help?

Thanks!

Log.txt

Update your roku.

Settings >> system >> system update

This has to be done manually. Roku has had several firmware upgrades. Keep updating until it says your roku is up to date. It may reboot your roku this is fine. Then check for updates over and over until up to date. Let us know if this does or doesnt solve the issue. Thanks.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

apollohollon

Did that way way before I ever thought about posting on here. It still crashes immediately upon selecting the emby channel. 

Edited by apollohollon

• Solution

Which app? The beta, standard or zip install? They all use the same registry so maybe it is corrupt?

To tell if it is corrupt, does this app work?

https://my.roku.com/account/add?channel=EmbyBlueNeon

If it does, delete all emby apps you have installed on that roku, besides the one above. The one above uses its own seperate registry. This will force the registry space for the official app to purge. This should fix the issue. You can only purge if all apps that use that registry space get deleted which is why you have to delete all versions. Then reinstall them all again and it should be okay.

• Like 1

apollohollon

That was it man, THANK YOU! This was almost as easy as "turning it off and back on"  I can't believe I didn't think to freaking uninstall the damn channel lol. Much appreciated!!

Which app? The beta, standard or zip install? They all use the same registry so maybe it is corrupt?

To tell if it is corrupt, does this app work?

https://my.roku.com/account/add?channel=EmbyBlueNeon

If it does, delete all emby apps you have installed on that roku, besides the one above. The one above uses its own seperate registry. This will force the registry space for the official app to purge. This should fix the issue. You can only purge if all apps that use that registry space get deleted which is why you have to delete all versions. Then reinstall them all again and it should be okay.

Yea i think we are running into an issue of registry space for people who have multiple editions of the app installed and that is causing some crashes

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So let me ask, is this side scroll of a single icon using my Roku the best we get? I've seen this look since I started and I was hoping for something a little closer to what Plex does from Emby.  If it does, can I get some assistance please?

Sorry, I didn't really understand what you meant by side scroll of a single icon. If you could elaborate a little more then I can provide more info. Thanks.

@@Luke

He posted in a topic that wasnt really related.

But, I take it as a jab at emby for mistreating those who initially bought roku devices and lifetime plans. Mainly you told them work in this area was coming and here we are. Still android and apple get all the love.

But dont tell me you havent seen the plex teams roku client. It is based on custom screens combined with os7 enhancements. It has a custom video player with overlays. They also hired an outside developer to assist their roku team. But all of this isnt a competition. It is more their team has more dudes, more money, more exposure.

I am one guy who hacks your code to embellish it. I cant write shakespeare, cant sing like beyonce, cant dance like chris brown, nor fill a staduim like taylor swift. But I can say I did my best to help people with rokus get more enjoyment out of their roku. Can you honestly say the same?

Now the original code, was taken from plex. So plex of course is how roku got going so fast. So to say you did a whole lot to get it to the point it is, isnt saying much. I do agree with the guy.

It isnt fair to people who chose the roku and paid for emby to not see any movement in this area. To pretend like you dont know what they are saying isnt fooling anyone.

• Like 3