What is your live TV setup in Windows?

Houseofbricks

Houseofbricks

I'm just getting started with Emby - I've got the server running, the PVR functionality connected to my HD Homerun, downloaded the app on my phone and it all looks and works fantastically. But I'm a little confused about the various options available to me for a desktop client. It seems I have:

• Emby Theater. Seems functional, and has most of what I use, but also seems barebones (particularly in design) - I assume there's more to come there.
  • The Windows App Store App. It costs $4.99 so I can't actually try it out, but it looks like it has all the features I require, but is also maybe lacking design polish. Can anyone that has used it weigh in on whether it's better or worse than Emby Theater?
  • Kodi. I've seen the Kodi plugin, but it's lacking live TV functionality. So I thought that maybe I could use a different PVR service (e.g. NextPVR) and have Kodi side-step Emby for live TV and go directly to the separate PVR program. But that seems convoluted - I'd much rather than be using the one Emby backend if I can.

Can anyone weigh in on which option works best, what setup they have running, etc. etc.?

Thanks!

legallink

By desktop, do you mean sitting at your computer or otherwise....aka htpc connected to a tv?

from desktop, I actually use the browser, as emby theater isn't that smooth for me, and Kodi just seemed like too much when all I want to do is play something while I am working.

I have not used the windows store app, so I can't comment on that one.

overClocked!

I am using Windows Media Center (Window 7 Professional 64-bit) with a Ceton InfiniTV 4 PCIe tuner card as the basis for Live TV. I use the ServerWMC plug-in to make the functions available to Emby. Works great across all mobile and remote apps that support LiveTV. But I still use Media Center to watch on the main TV my server is connected to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Houseofbricks

By desktop, do you mean sitting at your computer or otherwise....aka htpc connected to a tv?

from desktop, I actually use the browser, as emby theater isn't that smooth for me, and Kodi just seemed like too much when all I want to do is play something while I am working.

I have not used the windows store app, so I can't comment on that one.

Sorry, I mean HTPC. So a remote-enabled app.

You could consider something like a Nexus Player or Fire TV as well.

Or, if you really must have a full-blown htpc, check out the new version of Emby Theater in the testing area.

jasonmcroy

I use an HDHomerun Prime and HDHomerun Extend. On my main HTPC which is connected to my Living Room TV and Onkyo Receiver for 5.1 surround. I have been using Kodi with the Emby plugin and HDHomerun has it's own app you can use in Kodi for Live TV. It doesn't use the traditional EPG grid though, it's a little different. Some don't like it but I think it is ok.

I also had the earlier version of Emby Theater that worked well for me except for no Live TV EPG Grid. The new version of Emby Theater that Ebr mentions in the above post will replace my Kodi setup as soon as the EPG Grid is implemented. It's not in there yet, but it will be. 

For my DVR I am using the core Emby TV that is part of the Emby Server. I have used it for the past 2 weeks without an issue. I was using the HDHomerun DVR before that but there are some aspects of it that I don't like that I like MUCH better in the Emby Live TV service. 

I have used the Windows Store App version of Emby but it doesn't fit my needs on my HTPC setup because the remote control functionality is not there. You can do some things with a remote but not all. Playback on the HTPC is ok but not as good as Kodi and the new Emby Theater in my opinion. 

I hope that helps.