Removing ads from recorded TV?

Houseofbricks

Houseofbricks

Just getting started with Emby - I have it set up to detect my HD Homerun device and it's working perfectly. However, I'd love to be able to strip out the commercials from my recordings. Is there any way to do that with the built-in Homerun support (via scheduled task, or...)? If not, does anyone have a suggestion for what backend I could use instead of the built-in Emby one that would allow ad skipping? I'm reluctant to add another service to the mix when I don't have to, but if there's a simple option...

Spaceboy

Dvrms toolbox works flawlessly for years for me under wmc, I don't see my reason why that should have changed. Granted it's not the easiest to set up but here are number of guides around. I believe the author of that is involved with emby and hope longer term he may put his skills to use in that area again. For now I'm happy to skip, U.K. commercial breaks are always the same length

aspdend

I don't - the live TV I record is via WMC and is converted to mp4 by MCEBuddy and dumped into a TV to watch folder on my server. Once I have watched the TV, most is deleted. The original recording is kept on the htpc and periodically I will go in and delete them all - I don't tend to keep them long term.

mjktg99

Those who are using MCEBuddy @@LehighBri @@aspdend @@mjktg99 How do you keep the recordings in Emby's recording library after the they have been converted to MP4?

I use mine like a DVR, not long term storage.  I convert them, move them into a Folder classified as home videos (So emby doesn't try to auto organize or anything like that) and then delete after watching.

Hmm. Is there any way to still keep them in Emby recordings? I would lose all of the artwork if I were to move them to new folder, since they can't be found on TheTVDB.

Edited by Damstas

jasonmcroy

I used to use MCEBuddy as well. I have it set up to move the converted file to my main TV Series folder where it is then picked up by Emby. MCEBuddy will even create the Series folder/Season folder if I have it set up that way or I am recording a new show that isn't already listed in my TV Series folder. I end up with Gotham (2014)\Season 01\Gotham S01E02 Showname.ts.

I no longer cut commercials though so now I just use the built in Organization method within Emby itself. 

Just your mcebuddy output folder your recorded tv folder

Doesn't help, since when it's deleting the original, it won't place the new one in the same folder, so Emby can't detect it in recordings.

epayson85

I don't plan on ever keeping my recordings and I don't care how good mce buddy is if its something I want to keep there are groups with way better sources and are a lot better at compression / conversion than any of us. Now when it comes to recordingS the dvrms toolbox with comskip or show analyzer is FANTASTIC. For those saying Emby doesn't need this implemented are just kidding themselves. Wmc, media portal, NPVR, Kodi... They all support commercial skip files. This is something that those of us that watch / record TV from our PCs desire. Also to say just ff / rewind is funny considering the latest theater app that feature doesn't even work lol also have you tried ff / rewinding on recordings via android and firetv apps? It freezes up a lot.

Spaceboy

For those saying Emby doesn't need this implemented are just kidding themselves.

Who said that? It's just not a priority Edited by Spaceboy

• 10 months later...