4K Video in Windows 7 MCE

pgriffith

pgriffith

Hi everyone,

Have a bit of a problem I hope someone here can help me out with.

Recently upgraded the TV to a 4K Samsung and upgraded the GPU to a GTX 950 (HDMI 2.0), the onboard Intel wasn't up to the job at that res.

Windows works perfectly, there was no underscan/overscan issues, the desktop at full resolution fitted just like a standard desktop monitor.

Running at 3840 x 2160 @ 50Hz

Videos play perfectly in Windows Media Player from the desktop (720, 1080, MKV, DivX, H264/265)

The issue is in MediaCenter, when playing videos the image is zoomed and cut off on 3 edges (L, R & Top). No amount of fiddling with zoom controls helps. Also tried the Samsung TV display controls as well. (fit to screen etc etc)

Interestingly, the inbuilt videos used for adjusting your display exhibits the same issue. The attached screenshot shows approximately what I see on screen.

MediaCenter fits the screen perfectly, as does Emby, everything is perfect until you play a video. Strangely recorded and live TV has no problem.

I'm using Sharks Codec pack (latest 3.1.4) which I've used since he started creating them.

Any thoughts ?

Cheers

post-408-0-34224700-1452567229_thumb.jpg

JeremyFr79

First off get off Shark Codecs, LAV filters will do everything you need now with ALOT less bloat and issues.  2nd there are some registry settings you can play with in regards to over/underscan I don't remember exactly where they are.  I also know that MCE has always and I mean ALWAYS had an unknown issue where it cuts several edges off by several lines of resolution and no one that I've seen has ever been able to figure out why.  Same files play pixel for pixel in Media Player, but once launched in MCE lose several lines on the display.

pgriffith

Shark is mostly just LAV filters now, I only use the Standard pack not the advanced one. Unless someone can say that why this is happening is because of Sharks Codecs, they stay. A loss of a few lines of resolution would be fine, I am losing like 20% of the screen.

Anyone got any more info on those those registry settings ?

I also know that MCE has always and I mean ALWAYS had an unknown issue where it cuts several edges off by several lines of resolution and no one that I've seen has ever been able to figure out why. 

I imagine they did it on purpose because WMC was designed to play Live TV and most Live TV broadcasts (at least back in 2005) still had garbage at the edge of the resolution because all CRT monitors had overscan.

• Like 1

JeremyFr79

I imagine they did it on purpose because WMC was designed to play Live TV and most Live TV broadcasts (at least back in 2005) still had garbage at the edge of the resolution because all CRT monitors had overscan.

Yeah you're talking about "line21" which was the old analog CC data that was actually in the picture itself not OOB data like it is now.

Edited by JeremyFr79

pgriffith

Media Browser Classic is not displayed on 100% of the screen. How to troubleshoot overscan issues.

But first, I would make sure that your WMC player isn't actually set to zoom...

Hi Ebr

Emby fits the screen perfectly, no under or overscan at all, it's ONLY the videos that are horribly cut off, and not even cut off evenly, you can see by the attached image that the bottom is really not affected at all. Embys player interface (the new one) is centered and sized as it should be when this is happening.

This has really got me scratching my head. If everything at the Windows desktop, when playing via Media Player and in Emby itself is ok, that has to eliminate the TV itself as causing the issue, especially as the Emby player interface is unaffected.

And yes it's not the zoom settings in WMC, it's set to the standard default 1st setting, I've tried the other 3 too.

Those registry settings for under/overscan, are they the same ones that are now built into the Emby WMC options ?

Cheers

Wilky13

Shark is mostly just LAV filters now, I only use the Standard pack not the advanced one. Unless someone can say that why this is happening is because of Sharks Codecs, they stay. A loss of a few lines of resolution would be fine, I am losing like 20% of the screen.

Anyone got any more info on those those registry settings ?

I no longer use Shark, I use LAV only. But I think you need the advance Shark pack to work on the 64-bit version of WMP, since that is what WMC uses for playback. The standard Shark pack I think only effects WMP 32-bit.

If you ever do a clean install try LAV only. That's what I do now, and I wrote the Shark guides for AssassinHTPC!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Wilky13

pgriffith

Shark used to have separate 32 & 64 bit installers, it's combined into one now. Still has separate 32 & 64 bit configuration panels.

Is there a guide for using LAV only, if there is a snowballs chance in hell it can fix this problem I'm open to anything at this point.  :)

Those registry settings for under/overscan, are they the same ones that are now built into the Emby WMC options ?

No.  Completely different.

porkbone

I had to dig through some old files, but I think this is what you are looking for as far as the registry location for screen adjustments.

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center\Settings\MCE.PerUserSettings]
"marginLeft"=dword:00000000
"marginTop"=dword:00000000
"marginRight"=dword:00000000
"marginBottom"=dword:00000000
"marginSaved"=dword:00000001
"useDefaultOverscanMargins"=dword:00000000 

Also, it's a good idea to check or change the WMC setup for your monitor. try Flat Screen instead of TV. 
Back when I had a rear projection tv this was frustrating. Never got it exactly right, just close enough.

Are you against using an external video player like MPC-HC?

rarefc3s

Also, it's a good idea to check or change the WMC setup for your monitor. try Flat Screen instead of TV. 

Back when I had a rear projection tv this was frustrating. Never got it exactly right, just close enough.

Are you against using an external video player like MPC-HC?

I was going to also suggest this. Go back through the TV setup and try different settings for Flat Panel or Monitor. You don't run the video through a receiver do you?

pgriffith

Porkbone, I imagine those would affect all of WMC, thing is Live TV and recorded TV are fine, it's only downloaded movies/TV episodes that are doing it

Not against using an external player, just never had the need to try one. The machine that's having this issue isn't actually mine, just one I maintain  ... 1 of 5 :)

Is it as seamless as the internal player in regards to control via MCE remote, it needs to be as easy to use/hassle free as it is now or it will make my life hell. Might have a play with mine, I'm sure there is a guide somewhere.

And rarefc3s, I tried the different devices in setup, Television gave a slightly less chopped picture but still quite severe, the others were pretty much all identical.

And no, no running through a receiver, direct HDMI 2.0

I'm actually downloading some native 4k video to see what happens with video at the screens native res as well.

Cheers all

• Like 1