Error message "Library thread has exited restart kodi"

breezytm

breezytm

The connection to your server timed out.

I see that in the log as well and previous ones. I just don't understand why. 

Quick background: I have my server running on a nas (QNAP). There seems to be an issue with plugins on the latest versions. They don't appear to be working properly. I figured that may be the reason considering in previous versions of the server for qnap everything was working. 

I have two instances of the servers on my nas. I will turn off the newer version and enable the older packages and see if it starts to work again. I'll get back to you. 

Edited by breezytm

Angelblue05

I'm not exactly sure what happened. You can disable Kodi debug for future reference, we don't need it.

Looks like a library scan was running at the same time on your server. If you have your server log from that time, it might give us more info as to what went wrong. Do you have the fast sync server plugin installed?

Edited by Angelblue05

breezytm

Dropbox can't open it. I think its probably because of the file size. But i can be opened after download it. I tried pastebin but it keeps crashing after pasting the text from the file. I don't have any other way of sending it.

Angelblue05

Are you sure it's the correct log? I'm checking the timestamp and I see absolutely no requests from Kodi at the time? Nothing matches... :/

Angelblue05

I would try to lower the number of items requested in the add-on settings > sync option > 150 item requested, restart Kodi. Let me know if it works. 

Edited by Angelblue05

chriskeens

I was also having issues with this yesterday... nothing extra was running on my server, request items was set at 150, but it still kept crashing out. I disabled the 'auto add images to kodi cache' option and the next scan ran fine with no issues. I'm not sure if that actually had anything to do with it or wether it was just pure luck.

Angelblue05

But in his case, the connection times out on the first request, we are no where near caching artwork... He had a trakt task going at the same time, I'm not sure if it would have affected the server response.  But if it happens every time, it usually means the number of items requested (by default 200) is too much. The server is unable to gather 200 items with full metadata within 30 sec. Lowering the number by 50 at a time, for example, until it works, should resolve the issue permanently. 

Edited by Angelblue05

breezytm

I was also having issues with this yesterday... nothing extra was running on my server, request items was set at 150, but it still kept crashing out. I disabled the 'auto add images to kodi cache' option and the next scan ran fine with no issues. I'm not sure if that actually had anything to do with it or wether it was just pure luck.

I can try that to see if it works when I get home. 

But in his case, the connection times out on the first request, we are no where near caching artwork... He had a trakt task going at the same time, I'm not sure if it would have affected the server response.  But if it happens every time, it usually means the number of items requested (by default 200) is too much. The server is unable to gather 200 items with full metadata within 30 sec. Lowering the number by 50 at a time, for example, until it works, should resolve the issue permanently. 

The server is not the quickest. Again I am using a nas box and the Emby server does require a lot of resources but for the most part it seems to work OK with clients like AFT and Shield ATV. It does not fetch the fanarts quickly but it does eventually.

The thing I found interesting is it used to work fine. The first time I installed the plugin on my shield everything sync'ed without any issues. Later on a new version of the server was released for QNAP and a clean installed was required. After the install I was able to reset the kodi db and sync'ed again. Randomly I started getting direct play errors. When I went to the plugin to do a Kodi db reset again is when I started noticing the problem. I switched over to my laptop and installed Kodi on it and I was getting the same error. I was hoping the issue was isolated to one Kodi installed but both of them are experiencing the same exact issue. That got me to wonder if the problem was/is a bug in the Emby for Kodi addon. I wish I could get my hands on an older version just to test. 

Angelblue05

Older version, you mean stable? Or just a previous beta version since stable? Anyway, stable, we gather your items one at a time, while in beta, we gather in bulk.

In the early build, there was a coding mistake, so images were not being cached. This has since been fixed. I don't know if that's what you are referring to? :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

breezytm

Older version, you mean stable? Or just a previous beta version since stable? Anyway, stable, we gather your items one at a time, while in beta, we gather in bulk.

I've always been running beta. I got my shield tv for Christmas and it was emby for kodi was working then. I noticed the software stops working two days before new year. Now, what i meant in my previous comment is: if i can find the version which I had installed primarily I would of installed it again and see what happens. I believe there has been 3 version upgrade since.  I can find out by going into the packages folder in Kodi now that I am thinking about it or I can use emby stable. 

In the early build, there was a coding mistake, so images were not being cached. This has since been fixed. I don't know if that's what you are referring to? :)

I remember that :D . The image would keep disappearing and refreshing as I scrolled :lol: But you guys have done a marvelous job with this. Definitely closes the gap in the server client architecture everyone has been looking for in Kodi. 

Anyway I would do both, uncheck the "auto add images to kodi cache" as @@chriskeens and see if that works in one box and downgrade the addon version in the other box and report the results. 

• Like 1

breezytm

Quick update guys and again thanks for the assistance. 

So I have two good news. Well good news for me but bad news for you @Angelblue05  :D .

Client 1) Unchecking the "auto add images to kodi cache" did not resolve the issue for me. However, lowering the number of requested items to just 50 seems to work right away. Why 50? I don't know. I just picked 50.

Client 2) I uninstalled the emby for kodi addon as well as the repo. I installed the stable version and the sync started automatically as soon as Kodi notified that Emby for Kodi is enabled. Keep in mind that I didn't change the the number of requested items. It is still 200 on this client config. 

P.S I did not perform any of the steps I did in client 1 in client 2.

As I mentioned before, something changed in the code. Same server but in one version of the addon it is too slow to fetch 200 items but in the other version it has no issue doing so. 

I made one mistake. I did not enabled debugging. I have no log files to provide you besides the server maybe but I don't see how that would be useful to you. 

Edited by breezytm

breezytm

Update: I reset the database again in client 2 just to make sure it works and it started syncing again just fine. 

Angelblue05

You are mistaken in your assumption that stable and beta work the same way. I changed the code in beta to gather items in bulk during the initial sync. In stable (version 1.1.62), it gathers one item at a time, there is no settings to modify this. So of course it will work correctly, because your server can return one item before the request times out, but doing it this way hammers your server the whole time it's syncing. :)

I modified the add-on to gather in bulk, this in turn puts less strain on your server and speeds up the process a bit (as long as your server response time is reasonable, otherwise tweaking the number of item requested at once will allow your server to respond within the timeout limit of 30 seconds). It doesn't need to be a round number, you could pick 77. As long as your server can return x items within 30 seconds, you should never encounter an issue. I hope this helps clarify the situation a bit :)

I'm glad you got it working. you could probably tweak the number even more by testing... I would like to make this an automatic detection in the future, I'm just not sure how to approach it yet.

Edited by Angelblue05
  • Like 1

breezytm

You are mistaken in your assumption that stable and beta work the same way. I changed the code in beta to gather items in bulk during the initial sync. In stable (version 1.1.62), it gathers one item at a time, there is no settings to modify this. So of course it will work correctly, because your server can return one item before the request times out, but doing it this way hammers your server the whole time it's syncing. :)

I modified the add-on to gather in bulk, this in turn puts less strain on your server and speeds up the process a bit (as long as your server response time is reasonable, otherwise tweaking the number of item requested at once will allow your server to respond within the timeout limit of 30 seconds). It doesn't need to be a round number, you could pick 77. As long as your server can return x items within 30 seconds, you should never encounter an issue. I hope this helps clarify the situation a bit :)

You are absolutely correct sir. You did mentioned that. However, I am still having trouble understanding how come it worked before using the same server but now it's having issue gathering the same amount of data. No complaints here. Just confused that's all. It's working so thank you. 

I would like to make this an automatic detection in the future, I'm just not sure how to approach it yet.

I would say for now give users the option to set their own timing out value. Leave 30 second as a default value. I wouldn't mind waiting 2 minutes to gather 200 items. It's much faster than waiting 17 minutes to get 1 item at a time. 

Edited by breezytm