Change IP address of Emby Server

DannyN

Recently installed on a new media server. Emby is using the IP of the VPN (Hamachi) rather than the static IP 192.168.x.x. How do I change it? It may be the reason recording live TV is not working

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Logos302

see if you can change the adapter order.  that might work.  emby sadly uses the first nic it finds, and as far as I know there is no way to change that.

• Like 1

JeremyFr79

see if you can change the adapter order.  that might work.  emby sadly uses the first nic it finds, and as far as I know there is no way to change that.

You can change your adapter ordering very easily under network settings.  Just google Windows NIC binding.

• Like 1

Thanks for your replies. The NIC order is as it should be.....ethernet, wifi, hamachi in that order. If I disable the Hamachi (VPN) service and reboot the machine, Emby Server binds to the ethernet address, 192.168.x.x, but if I then turn on the VPN service, Emby binds to the VPN address, without any prompts to do so.

I must be missing something??

Thank you

Logos302

I don't believe you are missing anything.  I was hoping that it followed the binding order but it doesn't.  It uses what ever it sees first and in your case it happens to be the hamachi vpn nic :(.  @@Luke might have a better suggestion on how to fix this.  

JeremyFr79

Typically most VPN clients will upon connection take over the #1 NIC binding in WIndows, this is to make sure your data is going over what should be a secure connection.  This is by design with VPN connections.

With the VPN turned on, the Server binds itself to that NIC immediately. I can view Live TV on FireTv etc ok, but recording does not work I see no transcoding going on at all...

No solution so far. Does anyone have any ideas, when the Emby server is binding itself to the VPN address rather than the server local lan address? Would it be possible to have an option in settings to override the address the server is trying to bind itself to?

I don't believe so. It would be simple for a machine to have 2 nic cards, regardless whether one is a VPN IP or not.  Many years ago I managed a data center and every machine had dual nic's.  I think it would be prudent to have an option to override the IP of the nic that Emby is binding itself to. 

JeremyFr79

However the way VPN software works it takes over as your primary IP/NIC by design, When you make a VPN connection, most are setup to route ALL traffic from your PC through the tunnel created.  If it was to allow you to do otherwise it would make the security that the VPN connection provides pointless, because you'd be able to bypass it (the secure VPN) all "willly nilly"  This is not what VPN's are built for.  So yes it's the VPN software, and it's DOING EXACTLY WHAT IT'S DESIGNED TO DO.

Since it's binding to the VPN IP, transcoding is not happening. I can watch live TV on devices, but no recording. What other options are there, if we can't change the IP address that Emby is binding itself to, automatically?

• 4 months later...