not closing live tv streams

TheShanMan

TheShanMan

I am casting live tv to my chromecast and it is leaving live tv streams open, ultimately causing my server to slow to the point of being entirely unusable due to all the open streams. Krustyreturns claims that emby is still reading the stream, otherwise ServerWMC would automatically close the unused streams. Examples of what causes this:

• When trying to watch on my phone rather than chromecast, I got an error like "there was an error processing your request" and it left a stream running with ServerWMC.
  • Switching channels typically leaves a stream running with ServerWMC (not sure it's 100% of the time but it is often).
  • Not switching channels typically results in several streams from the same channel running with ServerWMC. I'm guessing when ServerWMC has a hiccup in the stream (such as poor antenna reception), emby gives up on the stream and opens another one, without closing the first. This is just conjecture though. All I know is if I leave a channel running for long enough, I'll end up with enough streams from that one channel that my server becomes overloaded and then live tv stops working entirely.

Live TV in the web client doesn't seem to suffer from these issues at all, though I haven't put it through the paces to the same degree I have casting with the android app.

See the discussion in the ServerWMC forum: http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/29149-live-tv-streams-die-randomly. Particularly, see my post from 12/31 and the discussion with krustyreturns that follows.

TheShanMan

Even if there is no time at the moment to investigate this, at least acknowledging it would be appreciated. I know Luke and whoever else is involved probably have a million other things going on, but it's a pretty important problem for me so it would be nice to know if it is going to receive attention anytime soon.

TheShanMan

If "they" is krustyreturns, I also started off with his help and he concluded it must be the android app and directed me here (see my first post in this thread for a link to my thread in the ServerWMC forum). They do sound like basically the same problem. Sadly I can't seem to get a response here so we may be waiting a while, but I'm glad to see another person chime in. Maybe that will help draw attention to our problem.

Um, he's sick. My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious.

:)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

theniteow1

Um, he's sick. My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious.

:)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Thank you, Simone. :D

TheShanMan

It's not the same problem and the new ServerWMC doesn't fix the problem either. My problem appears to be an emby problem, not a ServerWMC problem.

What does it take to get a little help? :(

TheShanMan

By the way, my latest observation is that casting from my android always opens 2 streams and when I stop casting only 1 stream is closed. Not sure if that is a change in behavior from my original report or if this is just an additional observation, but this problem seems like the best starting point at the moment, if I could get any help.

TheShanMan

Cool. Thanks! What can I provide? Server log? Android log (not sure where these are)? ServerWMC log? I'm happy to do whatever it takes.

TheShanMan

Yeah, I know about that. That's not really what I was asking. Which logs do you think will be helpful (I'm not sure if the relevant one would be android, server, or both, or perhaps even serverwmc)? And I know where to find server and serverwmc but not android. I don't see a mention of that on your link.

TheShanMan

Sorry for the delay, Luke. I have the server log and just in case I also included the serverwmc log file. First I restarted both services to minimize the log entries. Then I replicated a related problem (can't play live tv directly on my android phone) on krustyreturns' request (see the end of http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/29484-serverwmc-not-deleting-streams-no-longer-in-use/).Then I waited a few minutes and replicated this problem (casting live tv from my android phone to my tv results in 2 streams, 1 of which doesn't ever close).

It was 2:22 when I replicated the first problem for krustyreturns. It was 2:28 when I tried chromecasting live TV using my android for you, so basically you'll want to focus on the logs after 2:25.

Incidentally, I suspect the first problem is not a serverwmc problem so if you feel motivated to have a look at that now as well, be my guest - I may start a new thread in this forum soon anyway if krustyreturns agrees it's not serverwmc.

I appreciate your time in looking at this problem!

server-63589069193 - Copy.txt

ServerWMC - Copy.log

Edited by TheShanMan

TheShanMan

Dude! You're awesome! That worked. Does Emby indicate anywhere that a Chromecast should be rebooted (I presume for an update)? If not, how do we know when we should do so?

It's generally not even necessary depending on the length of time in between uses. I just say it so that i don't have to deal with people reporting they're not seeing the update.

TheShanMan

OK, let me ask differently. What triggers the chromecast to update itself, why didn't it update itself automatically in this case, and since it didn't update itself automatically, how could I have known that it needed to be updated? I ask because in the future I'd like to avoid problems occurring because it didn't update itself.

Ideally it would be nice if the chromecast itself showed me on the tv (or if nothing else, on the device doing the casting) that the chromecast needs to be power cycled. That way it wouldn't go overlooked and of course would prevent unnecessary support threads like this one. :)