syncronized playback?

SwanStream

SwanStream

So I love my squeezeplay setup for playing music. Can select any device or combination of devices for synchronized play or divorce the device family and play some independent. Volume and all such can either be synchronized or controlled per device.

Is there a way to achieve similar functionality with Emby/Kodi for TV/Movies?

All TV watching locations are currently run from one PC running Kodi as the frontend and Emby as the backend. Using amps and various HDMI splitters to TV's without separate speakers and the amp(s) running 5.1 or 7.1 sound I've got a setup that "mostly" does what I want. I've been using an amp without speakers for 'second room' to downmix the audio and send 2 channel to the tv's. That amp died and the various replacements I've tried are just reporting the TV's EDID back to the source when audio is set to TV rather than AMP. The result, I get 2 channel at surround capable locations as well unless I select passthrough. Using passthrough the old samsung amp handled the downmix nicely when audio was set to output at TV rather than via speakers at the amp. I've been fighting with HDMI and video/audio nonsense for many years and ultimately I see synchronized playback as a more reliable solution long term.

Since all locations are watching the same thing, and many are within hearing range of the others, synchronized video/audio is a must, perfect synchroization not so important, but I'd like it close. My problem is the DTS-HD sent to TV's using passthrough gives me no voice due to TV's decoding the DTS-HD improperly. But I want the big sound in the livingroom. So, having two devices, one connected via passthrough audio to the livingroom setup and another device doing the downmix to 2 channel playing in sync would be ideal.

As it stands now I'm using some Gefen hardware to force an EDID that allows multichannel HD audio regardless of TV capability. It works but I keep having to fiddle the audio settings in Kodi to optimize audio based on what screens are on, and what they're capable of. I'd like a more elegant solution if anyone's got ideas.

Search the forum.  This has been discussed on a few different occasions.  There is also a feature request for it.

In short it is something we'd like to have.

SwanStream

Can you let me know what thread(s)...? I'd like to follow the topic and contribute if I can. I did a search for 'synchronized playback' before starting a topic and only got something about subtitles.... My search skills may suck, but I'm willing.