Offline Viewing

Dizzy49

Dizzy49

While I love the ability to sync things to devices, the feature is not nearly as useful as it could be since you have to be connected to view them.

A natural complimentary feature would be the ability to view these offline.  Since the ability to sync is a premier feature, you can assume that if there are synced items that they are a premiere user.

You can use the existing UI, and only display sections/folders with synced items.  Then you don't have to worry about syncing everything from the server, or navigation to unsynced areas.

With the move to the paid app, I think this feature would go a long way in justifying the cost to many people.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Dizzy49

Is been "coming" for a while now for android and ios. ...win 10 app already does this

So I can sync things to my laptop and play them offline...  Maybe useful if I'm gone for a while and need to sync new things for the trip home though.  This would benefit mobile apps more than anything else.

Any word if this is in the dev timeline?

Deathsquirrel

So I can sync things to my laptop and play them offline...  Maybe useful if I'm gone for a while and need to sync new things for the trip home though.  This would benefit mobile apps more than anything else.

Any word if this is in the dev timeline?

It's a per-app thing so there is no one answer.  The server side of sync does everything it needs to do to support this as far as I know.  Hence the existing support in the win10 app.

While you wait for per-app sync to be implemented don't forget about Folder Sync. I keep a large USB drive plugged into my Emby server to which I folder sync content. When when I travel I just grab the USB drive and have a bunch of media ready in the format that my tablet wants. It won't necessarily solve all of the potential issues, but in some cases it's a reasonable intermediate solution.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Dizzy49

FYI, you can sync to the mobile device, and use another media player to play the file.  I use BS Player, browse to the folder and play.

It's fine for me, but doesn't work so well for the kiddos.