Slow to find chromecasts?

runtimesandbox

gordan

The Chromecasts on the local WiFi network don't show up in the Android app. In the casting selection, the visible targets are the local device and the web browser I an logged in with on the web UI. Is there something special that has to be done to make the Chromecasts show up? The chromecasts work just fine from Plex and when casting via the Chrome browser extension.

markgbe

okay to rule out a few other possible potential causes:

• All bar one of my chromecasts are in a room with a wireless router so signal strength should not be an issue.
  • The entire network is gigabit so that also should not be an issue

Looking around on the internet i came across this

now I don't have a BT hub, but perhaps the problem comes from using multiple routers / AP's? I'm just speculating here. I will try and test this out using a normal wifi setup with one modem / router. You would have thought this would affect all the chromecast apps though right?

Probably not it.  My network config/network hardware hasn't changed in the last year. i have a very basic network. All lan devices (nas, media server) into a gigbit switch, standalone AP plugged into switch, standalone wired router plugged into switch.  

emby casting did work the last time i used emby which was probably 3-5 months ago. 

Devs,

Could you provide APks of releases that from each of the last 6 months? I can try installing them one by one starting from the oldest and work my way to the latest.  Assuming the oldest one works, we could at least see which revision caused the issue and then you guys could go from there.

Edited by markgbe
  • Like 1

jamvids

i should have elaborated i suppose. What i did just for giggles was change my subnet from what it was (192.168.9.0/24) to (192.168.1.0/24). Just on the of chance that there was some weird bug with how the emby app search for chromecasts on a lan. No such luck though.

Ahh, I have recently done some training at work (very basic) on networking. We covered subnet masks and the number is a decimal representation of a binary string so us humans could understand it. But basically doesn't need to change from the 255 thing unless you are using more than 255 devices, and acts as a gate in effect. If done incorrectly some ip addresses can't communicate with each other. Though your address has a / in it which I have never seen. It still bricks my head anyway.

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

gordan

I'm having what seems to be the same problem. Chromecasts don't show up in the Emby Android app. They work fine from Plex and from the Chrome extension for Chromecast casting.

markgbe

Ahh, I have recently done some training at work (very basic) on networking. We covered subnet masks and the number is a decimal representation of a binary string so us humans could understand it. But basically doesn't need to change from the 255 thing unless you are using more than 255 devices, and acts as a gate in effect. If done incorrectly some ip addresses can't communicate with each other. Though your address has a / in it which I have never seen. It still bricks my head anyway.

yeah, /24 is the prefix size.  It's the short version the full subnet mask.

for example..

/32 = 255.255.255.255

/24 =  255.255.255.0
/23 = 255.255.254.0
/22 = 255.255.252.0
/21 = 255.255.248.0
/20 = 255.255.240.0

/16 = 255.255.0.0.0

/8 = 255.0.0.0

jamvids

Thanks, understood. Though I have digressed from the original post. Sorry devs. I do like to learn though.

jamvids

I do have a CC related question though, (not Emby related) my android TV has one built in, works well with Emby, but the CC app doesn't find it, and I can't find an answer to that anywhere.

runtimesandbox

Hi Luke

So far so good, this seems to have fixed the issue with them not showing up. Don't seem to be able to play anything at the moment though. It comes up with the loading screen and then goes to a black screen and nothing happens. Media playing fine elsewhere. 

FYI: I did need to reboot my phone before they started showing up.

Great, thanks. I'm putting this up on the open beta:

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/24350-android-open-beta-testing/

Please subscribe to that if you haven't already. Please verify the fix with build 66 once you have that. What we're also going to need tested before this can go to the public is the reconnection scenario, e.g. starting CC playback, switching to another app for a while, then coming back. the app should reconnect to CC automatically. By switch to another app I don't mean another CC app, I just mean another app on your device, like go browse gmail or the play store for a while, then return to the app. Thanks.

• Like 1

runtimesandbox

Okay so.

The issue for playback for me seems to be mkv files.. 

Not sure if thats a server issue or app.. more likely server not transcoding properly i would have thought. Will investigate.

Using the latest beta app from app store.

It does find the chromecasts much better now. However, sometimes when i open the app there is only "My Device" to get the chromecasts to show I have to leave and rejoin the wifi network. Not a big issue as its quick and works everytime. [EDIT] This maybe an issue with my home network, multiple networks etc..

• When playing something on the chromecast and leaving the app the volume control does not work to control the CC volume like it does in other apps - just turns down the phone volume
  • It would be useful to be able to tap on the Emby CC notification to return to the place in the app or the remote - currently for me it does nothing except the play and skip function
  • Following the above, it would be useful to have an X in the top right of the notification to quickly close emby app and disconnect from the CC
  • The other thing I have noticed from the CC emby app is that when i connect to emby with the CC it doesn't turn the TV on via CEC like it does in other apps.

As you mentioned moving between apps luke, when i leave to browse other apps and something is playing, returning to the app takes you to the page or what you are watching with the correct play status

Hope this is of some use, and thanks for all the hardwork you devs are putting in!  :)

Edited by spudy12
  • Like 1

markgbe

So .66 beta,

chromecast discovery fixed still, yay.

If i leave the app while casting and do other stuff it maintains the connection. I can go back in and see playback timeline and things just fine.

I did notice during playback that if I swipe down notifications, I am unable to click the notification to get into the app. Not sure if this is normal?

Let me know if I can test anything else.

Edited by markgbe

This is slowly going out to the public as 2.5.69. Please let us know if the issue continues to persist on that release. Thanks.

runtimesandbox

Hi Luke

Just updated to the latest version on play store (I am a beta user)

Glad to report still finding chromecasts straightaway and also the CEC TV turn on is working again

Also the issue with mkv files not playing has been fixed. Not sure if that was an emby app update or my server as I have just reinstalled so who knows  :)

• 2 weeks later...

So... still on the beta ver of the android app, actually just got an update today, and the app again seems to not be seeing chromecasts in the house. Same deal as before, plex and other apps can see the chromecasts fine.

This is ver 2.5.77 I'm on.

I want to say that this started occurring again when i installed the emby server beta version to correct the premier activation issue.

Any ideas?

Edited by markgbe

I had to revert the recent changes due to some issues they caused. I hope to bring them back in the future.

Not that I've noticed. I will say that if it does, its much less than the plex app.

I will also say that I'd much rather have to 're-cast' to regain control of what's playing than not having any devices showing up to cast to.