Differences between ServerWMC and Native Live TV

Bigjohns97
Go to solution Solved by mjktg99,

Bigjohns97

So i recently upgraded to a HDHomeRun from a Ceton pcie and now have the option to go direct to the tuner instead of using ServerWMC.

One thing I have noticed is i have to subscribe to a guide service, does this mean when i set recordings they will not record through the WMC?

How will i watch recordings once they are done, are the only available through EMBY?

• Solution
mjktg99

1. When using emby/schedules direct, you are completely removing WMC from the picture. In this setup, you are independent and no longer relying on Microsoft. Which is a direction we should all be heading in because WMC will go to the grave one day.

2. Emby records the TV as a file that is accessible by any means that you setup. It is not proprietary to emby and as long as your device can handle the format and access the file, you will be able to play that recording. With or without emby.

Note: If you remove WMC you will lose access to any DRM Channels (HBO, Copy Once, etc..) This is most likely not a concern if you are solely using emby now but if you still use WMC as a HTPC (and not just for the guide, like I do) this could be an issue.

Edited by mjktg99
  • Like 1

Bigjohns97

Good to know something is being developed for when WMC is finally put to rest.

Unfortunately i am still married to it for the time being, although the guide proved to be more trouble than it's worth this football season. Hopefully it gets resolved soon but i don't have my hopes up.

Note: If you remove WMC you will lose access to any DRM Channels (HBO, Copy Once, etc..) This is most likely not a concern if you are solely using emby now but if you still use WMC as a HTPC (and not just for the guide, like I do) this could be an issue.

I'd like to make a comment here. If you're referring to the WMC plugin to watch live tv through emby using serverwmc, you can't view DRM channels this way anyway. Just wanted to clarify.

the one sentence answer is that the native support doesn't require a computer with windows media center, or an external software program that has to be installed and maintained.

gdog1977

the one sentence answer is that the native support doesn't require a computer with windows media center, or an external software program that has to be installed and maintained.

And requires premier service to schedule series recordings. :angry:

rarefc3s

I have Time Warner and a HD PRIME and I think the original poster has a PRIME too based on replacing a Ceton tuner. Take a guess as to how many of those channels I can view natively? Basically none. The HD channels, which is why I still pay for cable in the first place, are nearly all marked DRM. PRIME indicates pay cable with a cablecard and potentially DRM channels. My only experience is with Time Warner so maybe I have bigger DRM issues than others.

Edited by rarefc3s

epayson85

Seriously? It's what $4 or $5 a month or $99 for life? I'm not completely bought in yet but the fact they give us a small monthly amount to try out first is incredibly generous of them for their hard work. Then the life time amount is a steal. Think about how much it costs just to host this site and then more importantly everyone's Emby connect logins so you don't have to pay for a dynamic DNS service. It's incredibly cheap not to mention FAIR. I have plenty to B*tch about when it comes to this software which I have every right to as a paying customer lol but price / the fact we have to pay is absolutely not one of them. I left MB2 for a service I paid for because it was too buggy. Emby has brought me back and I am more than willing to pay for quality software.

Seriously? It's what $4 or $5 a month or $99 for life? I'm not completely bought in yet but the fact they give us a small monthly amount to try out first is incredibly generous of them for their hard work. Then the life time amount is a steal. Think about how much it costs just to host this site and then more importantly everyone's Emby connect logins so you don't have to pay for a dynamic DNS service. It's incredibly cheap not to mention FAIR. I have plenty to B*tch about when it comes to this software which I have every right to as a paying customer lol but price / the fact we have to pay is absolutely not one of them. I left MB2 for a service I paid for because it was too buggy. Emby has brought me back and I am more than willing to pay for quality software.

We put an obscene amount of hours into this for you guys to make it the best experience we possibly can. We thank you for your support :)

• Like 1