Hardware: NUC, Mac Mini, other?

scheideggstrasse

scheideggstrasse

Hi, 

I'm looking for a new emby server hardware around 300$.
Running Ubuntu Server 15.10.

• I'd like to transcode 2-4 streams on the same time.
  • 24/7 operation => low power consumption

Which hardware could you recommend?

What's about the new Intel Nuc: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/nuc/nuc-kit-nuc6i3syk.html?

The CPU also supports quick sync.

Cheers

fantaxp7

It would be nice if we had some general benchmarks around here for what streaming does for CPU usage in both intel and amd hardware.

But I would think if you want up to 4 streams, I would get something more powerful. I don't believe that would be ideal. 

Deathsquirrel

Benchmarks like that aren't really possible.  They depend entirely on the nature of your content and the devices you use.  Different clients have different supported formats and will have different transcoding needs, depending on the formats of your media.

fantaxp7

Benchmarks like that aren't really possible.  They depend entirely on the nature of your content and the devices you use.  Different clients have different supported formats and will have different transcoding needs, depending on the formats of your media.

Must be some general formula used where we could look at processing power needed per type of client and check vs. certain cpu's....But that sounds really difficult  :P

Edit: and of course while emby server updates and transcoding becomes more efficient from time to time...

Edited by fantaxp7

scheideggstrasse

It would be nice if we had some general benchmarks around here for what streaming does for CPU usage in both intel and amd hardware.

But I would think if you want up to 4 streams, I would get something more powerful. I don't believe that would be ideal. 

agree. maybe we could create a default cpu / hardware test with some sample files (which cover the top 5 video / audio types and containers)

e.g. 

1080p mkv sample (dts, ac3 audio)

720p mkv sample (dts, ac3 audio)

mp4 sample

for a load testing with transcoding to the top 4 devices:

• smarttv
  • iphone
  • chromecast
  • web

it doesn't cover every use case, but it's a good "reference point". 

after that, the users could compare it to other cpu benchmarks 

NUC 5th gen i5 is about $350, with the i7 at $450

Don't know much about streaming or transcoding, since I have need of neither, but if it matters, the NUCs have double, rather than quad core chips.