Do i need new CPU ?

Airbender

Airbender

hello

Finally i am back to MB3 but i notice spike in CPU Usage

I am going to be using MB3 , Sab, Sickbered , Couch, FllexRaid , and other automation's software

wonding if i need to upgrade the CPU or stay with what i got

Can someone look at screen shots and provide their expert opinion 

Thanks in advance

bc3f65294285356.jpg f3a1f4294285358.jpg 4b8d52294285361.jpg

Airbender

Where you transcoding at the time of the spike?

WOW you are fast man , ROKU 3 , MB3 I was testing move After earth

Well assuming it was transcoding, that is probably why you saw the spike. Your going to see that spike until we can optimize the transcoding a little better. While it might be better with a faster processor, it would still spike some. So I'd wait and see how things go after they get the optimization in.

• Like 1

Airbender

Well assuming it was transcoding, that is probably why you saw the spike. Your going to see that spike until we can optimize the transcoding a little better. While it might be better with a faster processor, it would still spike some. So I'd wait and see how things go after they get the optimization in.

Hi

i will wait no problem , so far you guys doing excellent work i am loving MB3 more and more every day

• 4 weeks later...
Airbender

hello

i have left over credit from new egg and gift cards i am thinking to get a new cpu

the one i wanted to get is this one

AMD FX-8320 Vishera 3.5GHz (4.0GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 125W Eight-Core Desktop Processor FD8320FRHKBOX

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113285

it is 8 core processor which will fit on my motherboard with no issue but still cant deiced , would an add on like this help with FlexRaid and MB3 proformace wise

Koleckai Silvestri

That would only benefit you if the transcoding process fully takes advantage of available cores. Even then you would still get a spike. It would just occur for a shorter period of time.

I also get a spike sending some movies to the Roku. It lasts about the first 20 minutes of watching time and then the machine acting as my server calms down. I would be more worried about the temperature than anything else. As long as you can keep that under control then you're good. The server is doing what it is supposed to do.

You can prevent the spikes by pre-encoding your content to h.264 and AAC then placing them in an MKV or MP4 container. However even doing this encoding with something like Handbrake will take your processor to its full utilization.

Edited by Wayne Luke

bloodtaker

you shouldn't need a new cpu as on my server computer im only running the amd phenom II 910e @2.6 ghz and don't have an issue streaming to multiple computers at a time only has 8gb ram and a 7770 in it so im betting it was a spike like he was saying.

side note was your gpu maxed out at the time as well if so i would check for a bitcoin miner malware as i picked one up a while back had my gpu and cpu maxed out got it removed and been smooth as glass since then