Transcoding when not needed (live-tv/recordings)

KRA

First off the AndroidTV app is great, but there are a few kinks.

As usual, transcoding - hate it, no need to go deeper into that again. I think this post may belong in the live-tv or server section but I cannot confirm since I only use the live-tv feature with AndroidTV.

I'm using the tvheadend plugin and everything gets transcoded, both live-tv and recorings. BUT if I add the recordings as a "unset (mixed content)" library it will play without transcoding. So it's obviously capable of playing the content directly, it's just a matter of how the content is delivered.

AndroidTV 1.1.41g

Server 5781.8

Edited by KRA

I'm sure this is going to come down to the information about the streams that is being delivered by the TV Head-end system/plug-in.  When you move them into an actual Emby library, we can analyze the files and know exactly how to handle them.  When delivered by the TVHead-end system, we must not have enough information about them to know how to handle them.

• Like 1

Do you know if this a issue with the backend itself (tvheadend) or the emby server plugin for tvheadend ? Because tvheadend itself has several options for how to store/package both live-tv streams and recordings. Currently I use MKV because I figured that would probably be the safest and most compatible. Another issue with live-tv is that the content is often changed mid stream. Usually not video, but audio changes more often.

Spaceboy

Do you know if this a issue with the backend itself (tvheadend) or the emby server plugin for tvheadend ? Because tvheadend itself has several options for how to store/package both live-tv streams and recordings. Currently I use MKV because I figured that would probably be the safest and most compatible. Another issue with live-tv is that the content is often changed mid stream. Usually not video, but audio changes more often.

The plugin, the dev of the dvblink plugin just did the same for dvblink users