JoachimGR

JoachimGR

Hello,

is there a way to change the default install path from %Appdata%...... to a local path?

The reason is, that I have a Windows Domain with centralized profiles. So emby is installed per Default in the central profile on a Server - not really good cause all data have to go the way over the Network and emby won't run in this way.

Actual I copy the whole MediaBrowser-Server-path from the "Appdata%-path to a local drive, the only way for me to run emby. But when I update emby updates the %appdata%-path and I have to copy the system-path Manual again from there to the local path.

Joachim

Other than what you discovered (just moving the folder manually) there is no way to specify the target for the installation.

akak01000101

FEATURE REQUEST

Some of us also have small SSD Drives that just have the system on it. Why can't you put the cache and meta-data in the install path that you let us choose?

You're eating up my precious space with cache, metadata, and temp files.

-Akak

shorty1483

FEATURE REQUEST

Some of us also have small SSD Drives that just have the system on it. Why can't you put the cache and meta-data in the install path that you let us choose?

-Akak

If the space is so precious for you, why not just using a junction using mklink /j command. That's how I use Emby on another partition since day one.

Gesendet von meinem HTC One M8 mit Tapatalk

• 5 months later...
akak01000101

My Media Sever is a linux machine running samba to mounted on Windows running Emby. I ended up doing something similar to what shorty1483 recommended for Windows, but I used a linux symlink to individual files with a relative path:

/vol01/videos/emby/family/0001.mp4 -> ../../family/0001.mp4

This works well and is easier on the backups. Some backup programs would  backup the the media files twice with a hard link.

-akak

dcook

You can define the metadata and cache locations after you install.

But I agree, the installer should ask you where you want to install, c:\program files\.... for example, prior to Emby I never installed any program that installed itself inside the user profile appdata folder, is that not why windows has the program files folder?

FEATURE REQUEST

-Akak

Chrome is an example similar to us. If we installed to program files auto-update would require an admin prompt, so we chose not to go that route.

If you want total control just use the portable install that is available on the download page of the website

Happy2Play

@@akak01000101

Custom paths locations

Cache:    Settings-Advanced

Metadata:    Library-Advanced

Transcoding temporary files:    Playback-Transcoding

dcook

When you run the installer you could have it set the default install path to be in the appdata folder, and you could give an option to specify a different path.  Most installers default to C:\program files\app name but they always give you a chance to change the path.  I know many people who have only OS on C: drive and have all their programs and apps on D:\Program Files

When you run the installer you could have it set the default install path to be in the appdata folder, and you could give an option to specify a different path.  Most installers default to C:\program files\app name but they always give you a chance to change the path.  I know many people who have only OS on C: drive and have all their programs and apps on D:\Program Files

As mentioned previously, we install where we do in order to be sure our automatic update processes will work in all instances.  Other programs with auto update requirements also utilize this method because it is pretty much the only fool-proof one.  Before we changed to this location, 10-15% of our users had problems with auto update and we spent a ton of time helping them solve them.  Now, virtually no one does.

Also, as mentioned, for advanced users, you can easily move it where ever you want or use the portable install.

drashna

Chrome is an example similar to us. If we installed to program files auto-update would require an admin prompt, so we chose not to go that route.

Chrome is a bad example.  It really is, for all sorts of reasons.  

Most of all, I hate that it installs to the AppData folder *as well*. 

But thank god there is at least somebody intelligent at google... The Chrome For Business installer is an MSI package, and installs correctly to the Program Files folder. 

And no issues with auto-updating either...

Edited by drashna

You can't auto-update to program files without elevation, so either the application is running elevated or they are putting files somewhere else that doesn't require permission and updating within that directory. I realize we can auto-update with an admin prompt at the end of it, but we don't want that.

Chrome is a perfectly fine example. They have made the same decision that we have. For every one person who raises a problem about it, there are probably a thousand who just want it taken care of and don't want to have to worry about it. They decided it was worth the trade-off and so have we. In other words, we have chosen to live with the occasional discussion such as this where a few people take issue with it. Sometimes you do have to think about practicality.

However, we do have great news that is designed to make everyone happy and give everyone what they want. We have a portable install available on the download page of the website. Now you can just download and drop the application folder anywhere that you like.

dcook

What is the problem with the elevation prompt? That is what Microsoft intended, the dialog box comes up so that you are aware that you are making a change to your computer, otherwise programs could just install things in the background and you would never know about it.

I am positive that Microsoft never intended or anticipated that 3rd party programs or applications would install in the user profile appdata folder.  

You can't auto-update to program files without elevation, so either the application is running elevated or they are putting files somewhere else that doesn't require permission and updating within that directory. I realize we can auto-update with an admin prompt at the end of it, but we don't want that.

Chrome is a perfectly fine example. They have made the same decision that we have. For every one person who raises a problem about it, there are probably a thousand who just want it taken care of and don't want to have to worry about it. They decided it was worth the trade-off and so have we. In other words, we have chosen to live with the occasional discussion such as this where a few people take issue with it. Sometimes you do have to think about practicality.

However, we do have great news that is designed to make everyone happy and give everyone what they want. We have a portable install available on the download page of the website. Now you can just download and drop the application folder anywhere that you like.

What is the problem with the elevation prompt? That is what Microsoft intended, the dialog box comes up so that you are aware that you are making a change to your computer, otherwise programs could just install things in the background and you would never know about it.

Our update process happens completely unattended so there is no one there to accept the prompt.

I am positive that Microsoft never intended or anticipated that 3rd party programs or applications would install in the user profile appdata folder.  

You'd be incorrect because Microsoft's own ClickOnce installation method does just that :).

• Like 1