Switched to Running Emby Server as a Service. Graphics "Offline"

justdrooit
Go to solution Solved by FrostByte,

justdrooit

I've been running Emby Server on a Windows 2008r2 server for pushing a year now. I have a couple of Netgear ReadyNAS RAID boxes that my media resides on which are set up as mapped drives.

Emby seems to have a few little issues (randomly crashes once every couple of days, folders occasionally stop updating, "restart server" just shuts Emby down but never starts back up, etc) and I elected to try running it as a service thinking this may improve at least a couple of issues.

So I removed it from my Startup folder, changed the service to start automatically, and set it up with my Administrator credentials.

When I restarted the system, yes, the Emby Server starts up, but every single graphic for every single movie/tv show I have comes up "offline".

Is this because of the mapped drives? Should I have set this up as \\(server name)\media\tv and \\(nas name)\media\movies instead of M: and N:? 

When I disabled the service and went back to Emby being in the system Startup folder, the graphics eventually returned (the next day). 

Many thanks in advance.

• Solution
FrostByte

Are you starting the service with an account/password that is also valid on the NAS and has access to the folders on the NAS?  When running as a service Emby uses that account to logon and gain access to your NAS.

• Like 1

Koleckai Silvestri

If you don't store your images in the media directories make sure the user that Emby is running under has permissions to your Metadata directory and that it is accessed via drive letter, not server path. You might have to change ownership to the Emby Service user as well.

When I switched to running Emby as a service a couple of months ago, I had to switch my paths from \\server\paths to drive letters. The clients use path substitution to find the proper path. The Emby Service user is an administrator and has full access to every media path. The directories for caching, metadata, and transcoding are all Server Directories.