Elementary question using Emby with Kodi

MagicPinball

MagicPinball

Up until about 9 months ago, I was a devout WMC and Emby user.  Everything worked fantastic.  Loved how MB3 worked inside of WMC.  Then the Windows 8.1/10 itch started.  Now I have a dedicated Win10 htpc using Kodi with Emby backend. 

"Everything is kinda workin' "

Assuming that I watch TV, Movies, and other video on one TV, why do I need Emby?  Again, I do not care for streaming to my tablet, phone, desktop pc, remote pc, or other TVs.  I just from my htpc that is connected to my 65" TV (and AVR) where I get Dolby 5.1, DTS, (maybe Atmos soon) and 1080p.  Appears that Kodi grabs the artwork, maintains watched/unwatched shows, etc.  What am I missing here?

Angelblue05

The point is to let emby do all the metadata/artwork work while using Kodi as a player only, which is what it's best at.

You can use Kodi without emby, to manage your metadata and artwork, but it's far less user friendly and is usually a slower process too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eventyret

I know how this Threadstarter feels.

Years ago, i used a huge box and a NAS to play a windows based XBMC Setup.

Hours of HOURS of work to sync and make everything work.

And windows would crash and god knows.

Now a few years later, I run 2x Rpi2 for each TV, and now i added Emby server to my server Pi. This one now runs, Sickrage, Couchpotato, emby.

So the BrainPi or ServerPi will do all the media, as in artwork and everything, the NAS stores it.

And my two other PI's just plays it with Kodi.

So to Threadstarter maybe even to make this more lightwork you can run Openelec and don't even need windows and a huge OS to run all the stuff, if you just want to watch it ?

Vidman

Up until about 9 months ago, I was a devout WMC and Emby user. Everything worked fantastic. Loved how MB3 worked inside of WMC. Then the Windows 8.1/10 itch started. Now I have a dedicated Win10 htpc using Kodi with Emby backend.

"Everything is kinda workin' "

Assuming that I watch TV, Movies, and other video on one TV, why do I need Emby? Again, I do not care for streaming to my tablet, phone, desktop pc, remote pc, or other TVs. I just from my htpc that is connected to my 65" TV (and AVR) where I get Dolby 5.1, DTS, (maybe Atmos soon) and 1080p. Appears that Kodi grabs the artwork, maintains watched/unwatched shows, etc. What am I missing here?

You aren't missing anything kodi is designed for your user case emby is designed for those that DO care about all that other stuff

im85288

One thing to add to this discussion, Emby does a much better job of getting all of your Artwork automatically (think logos, landscape etc images). Kodi standalone requires the use of the Artwork Downloader addon to get these extra artworks and needs to be manually invoked.

So as Angelblue eluded too, Emby in this scenario takes care of fetching your metadata automatically, you can then use the best media player out there (Kodi) to play it.

I also agree with the comment about using openelec, far better than needing to pay for Windows just to use as a htpc and more importantly very lightweight so less resource intensive.

nicheplayer

I have a couple elementary questions too on which I could use some clarification. Mainly, they're about using Emby in a "mixed" environment. Which is to say, I have a NAS with music and home videos and movies, and I have a new VPS running emby server that has movies and (a little) music stored on it. So, my (admittedly limited) understanding of the Kodi emby addon is that I can use a Kodi skin capable of accommodating shortcuts and then "blend" my emby server content with my local content? I.e., movies from emby server show up alongside movies from my NAS? And is there a current recommendation for an Isengard skin that works best for Emby? AZ? Thanks! 

Vidman

Titan is good and very configurable, also you may want to wait for the upcoming version of the addon which I believe will add support for home movies (currently home movies are not supported)

• Like 1

MagicPinball

Since skins came up, I've been using Aeon Nox.  Nice skin highly configurable.  We watch a lot of TV.  So displaying a count of unwatched episodes for each show is a nice feature.  Any other skins that does this?  Do any skins actually show Rotten Tomato scores for movies?

im85288

Without wanting to blow my own trumpet, but Eunique shows rotten tomato movie scores along with meta scores.

• Like 1