XBox Media Center Compatible MP4 \ Codec Issue

Bert

So for whatever reason the computer in my home theater kept giving me a boot drive error and I had to start over.  I use LAV Filters and most of my media is Blu Ray Rips that I have been ripping to .MV4 for compatibility.  In using the system, I discovered certain files wouldn't play.  I discovered that unchecking the boxes for Bitstreaming (S/PDIF, HDMI) would allow the media to play:

5679a75127ad1_Capture.jpg

The problem is, I want those to Bitstream to my audio receiver.  I have been making my files MP4 with AC3 as audio track 1, AC3-Passthrough for audio track 2, and DTS-HD for audio track three.  The idea being to make them compatible with everything (mostly android and two 360's used as extenders) and be able to bitstream HD Audio when played on the computer in the Home Theater.  

So, my question is, am I making the files incorrectly?  Also, doesn't LAV figure out whether it can bitstream or not.  It seems weird to me that unchecking the bitstreaming boxes allow everything to be hunky dory again.  I am very confused now and feel like I am missing something simple......TIA

Deathsquirrel

I swapped out my video card and installed a new OS and lost the ability to bitstream truehd.  Haven't had time to dig into it.  The takeaway is that LAV definitely does not correctly detect what can be bitstreamed successfully, at least for me and apparently for you.

Right, it doesn't detect from everything I can tell, however, I think I may have stumbled across a solution.  I use MakeMKV to rip to MKV then Handbrake to MP4.  Ran a test file of Inside Out and the MP4 with DTS-HD 1st still plays on my xbox.  I actually just tested it to see if it would crash it.  A solution may be to create the MP4 this way with DTS-HD as the first audio track.  I kind of thought the point of LAV was to correctly identify the best track but I am not an expert by any means.  The issue I'd run into with my "solution" is going back and redoing the existing library.

Re-encoding another one, I was wrong in last post.  It works if the only track is the DTS-HD which is surprising as well.  Encoding another right now to double check.  Didn't look great on the extender (probably stressing the bandwidth) but was watchable.  Original file was MP4, going to try with MKV to see if it looks better. The extenders are on the way out anyway but work for now for my bedroom and garage in front of the treadmill.

So I opened a support ticket and basically found out that LAV has never had the ability to "fallback" to a different audio stream.  Essentially, if Bit-streaming is enabled track 1 must be the DTS-HD pass-through.  If any other track is there, the video will fail to play.  So essentially, I have to choose bit-streaming or Xbox 360 MCE compatible files.  I'm guessing now that how I had it working before was with bit-streaming off, I was just too ignorant to know it.  Apparently though the difference shouldn't really even be noticeable if I have the computer decode the audio, but am still a bit unclear on that.