Specs Question to Run Emby for Android on TV Box

tacticalcity

tacticalcity

So I ordered a set top box on ebay specifically to run Emby, and it couldn't do it. It downloaded it fine. But when it ran the program, it was like emby was just too much for it. Could not even get past the login screen. I since returned the device. But I am curious what about it was not up to snuff. I ask so the next one I buy will be able to handle the job.

Here is what the box was spec wise.

Android 4.4

Chipset: Intel Atom Z3735F BayTrail-T CR Quad Core 1.33GHz~1.83GHz ( Max )

GPU: Intel HD Graphics Gen7 313MHz~646MHz ( Max ) for BayTrail Support: DX11 / Open GL 3.0

RAM: 2GB DDR3

Storage Capacity: 32GB eMMC

Internet Connectivity: 2.4GHZ Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n, LAN Ethernet 10/100Mbps

Do I need a faster processor? What above is not good enough?

jamvids

I have read it's the ram that is slow on them, the later models are meant to be better

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

tacticalcity

Unfortunately this box is one of the "latest" versions. What I am hoping to find is someway to look at the listing and know before I part with a decent chunk of change that Emby will run properly on it. 

This has been a pretty frustrating experience. My existing box that I had for a year is suddenly outdated and will not run emby. And the brand spanking new box I ordered would not run it either. 

The main reason I am wanting to go android is so I can have the Xfinity TV Go app on the same device. 

Edited by tacticalcity

Vidman

I would have thought it would be fine, maybe the android app has some issues running on intel? Most android devices are ARM i believe

tacticalcity

My only issue with Fire TV is not having the content I want at the top level of navigation and having to skip past all the Amazon paid stuff. 

I don't know anything about the Nexus Player or nvidia shield tv. So I will have to do some homework. Both are running Emby flawlessly?

tacticalcity

Got sticker shock from the nvidia shield tv. But the Nexus Player. Ironically the specs on paper are lower than the device I bought. Except the android version is higher. Have people had good results with Emby on the TV500I model? Anybody know if it is Xfinity TV Go compatible as well?

CBers

I have both the Nexus Player and Fire TV and both play videos without a hitch, although for me, I can't get Dolby D audio to passthrough on the NP, but that is believed to be an issue with the VLC player.

I only bought the Fire TV test Emby on - I'm not an Amazon Prime user.

When you install Emby on the Fire TV and once you've opened it once, it will stay at the top of the screen on the Recent row.

sluggo45

You will seriously regret buying any knock off android box that doesn't even run Android TV. As already mentioned, buy a Nexus player or a Shield and stop worrying about specs. The Shield is the best and you can get it on sale with a free remote now, though it is still more expensive. 

FireTV is also a good alternative, the Emby client is decent on it. 

Those are the 3 best options these days. A Roku 3 or 4 might be in 4th but I wouldn't pick that over any of the above unless you are in love with Prime video and don't want a FireTV.