Fire TV and Alexa

Akilian

I just recently bought an Amazon Echo and I was wondering if anyone has it incorporated into their setup. I'll be getting a Fire TV soon and I know that there's an Emby app for it. Is it free? I saw some reviews saying that it was a trial. And, can Alexa control Emby via Fire TV? 

Redshirt

Are you planning to integrate with Echo? Home automation is rising!

We have not done any Alexa-specific integration in the app yet. 

^

Edited by Redshirt

In my preliminary research I haven't found any integration points in Alexa for actual android apps.  It appears, it is designed to integrate with web services.

Red - if you have discovered more, please enlighten me.  Thx.

Redshirt

In my preliminary research I haven't found any integration points in Alexa for actual android apps.  It appears, it is designed to integrate with web services.

Red - if you have discovered more, please enlighten me.  Thx.

I wasn't trying to be a dick, just emphasize your use of yet, suggesting you weren't ruling anything out. But since you called me out it looks like you can 'fling' to the echo using an Amazon specific api. Looks synonymous with casting. Not sure why they can't just use the same terminology and api.

https://developer.amazon.com/public/apis/experience/fling/docs/using-amazon-fling-with-android-mediarouter

No worries.  I didn't think you were :).

I just did some quick research the other day and couldn't find anything in the Alexa stuff that would indicate that you could control an Android App from the Echo.  I don't think that is what they intend it for.  I think they intend it to be a web-based service device entirely.

But, thought maybe you had uncovered more than I had in my brief search.

Redshirt

Actually it may be possible to control Emby though Alexa. I haven't looked at the source. It may be that commands have to go through emby server (using our remote api) rather than direct to the client. That would actually be better in the long run as it wouldn't be a client-specific solution. Let me know what you think.

https://github.com/OverloadUT/alexa-plex

Akilian

I can get to the app with voice, but that's it. Maybe a voice search within the app. After playing with it for a few weeks now, I really don't see a point in it, other than "it does that".