Christmas theme

Luke

aspdend

If you really want to see it you can change the theme.

http://localhost:8096/web/index.html?theme=halloween

http://localhost:8096/web/index.html?theme=holiday

Anything else in the pipeline?

Koleckai Silvestri

Liking the themes. The add character to the system and the ability to expand the clients that support them. However it would be nice if the themes carried over to the Roku. The previous client had support for them. I am surprised this one doesn't.

However it would be nice if the themes carried over to the Roku. The previous client had support for them. I am surprised this one doesn't.

Which roku client had seasonal/monthly themes? None that I know of ever did. But you mean you want them in sync with the web client? Where do we host the themes, and how do we deploy them? These cant all be embedded in the app itself. The app size is limited. You need some repository to store these and dispense them. Then have the roku stash this to tmp:// space when running. If the theme isnt available you have a default theme it falls back to. Luke mentioned something like this. I see the stubs in the code luke left in the todo list in code comments. I can see a way to do this, but with storing in tmp then everytime the app closes tmp is dumped. Then you everytime it start have to reget the theme you are on. This can work, but I think with scene graph being close that this is a better more viable way to go. The old theme goes out the window it was for stock screens.

There is the blue neon themed app which has a christmas feel if you adjust the colors of the theme. It has a christmasfied icon too like websites do. So this isnt entirely true. The bigger question is, "Who wants to design these themes and the start-end dates they apply to?" This part is what people like to do, design pictures and images. I am surprised more people dont hack their own personal roku client. Its just modifying images in the zip. There is nothing fancy required.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Edited by speechles

Koleckai Silvestri

Before Emby, there was an app before the current official app. It could read themes out of a theme directory and apply them to the Roku while you were in MediaBrowser. They were stored on the server.

Don't really have time to hack and side load themes. Not interested in an unofficial App either. Already got burned on that with the older Roku apps and the older iOS app. Just mentioning it would be something nice to add in the future.

Edited by Koleckai Silvestri

@@Koleckai Silvestri Burned? On what? The guy abandoned his thingy or what not? Hopefully it wasnt a pay version. I am sorry that soured you. The official app is very moody. Its black, shades of grey, and white. This makes things hard to read at times, in fact very hard. It is always monochrome, which makes it look sad. Colors cause emotion. I added a way for users to change colors, on the fly in blue neon. The theme would only be the images, and default colors to use. The user should always be able to change the colors a theme sets on text. These themes would be easy to pack up and stash and we can have this working officially.

@@Luke How hard would it be to add the backend theme server to the server-side? This is a good idea in the interim until scene graph xml is written. This adds the whimsy and charm to a whole new level. Its the small things that matter most to users. This is one of those small things. A gesture of thanks allowing creativity. A new years gift perhaps?

Edited by speechles

Now that scene graph is available, any effort spent on legacy design will only set us back. So that's where we really should be focused right now.

• 11 months later...
CBers

Are suggestions for theme still based on genre keywords rather than tags? I think tags would be more appropriate

Sounds better than having genres removed each refresh.

Vidman

And technically I think Christmas and Halloween aren't really genres.... At least none of my media has pulled them as genres from online sources ( but then I don't know that I have any specially christmas/Halloween movies). So if they need to be added manually anyway I think tags make more sense

Edited by Vidman

Koleckai Silvestri

Are suggestions for theme still based on genre keywords rather than tags? I think tags would be more appropriate

Tags are worthless in Emby. They can't be searched or used to organize media. You can only use them for parental controls.

Koleckai Silvestri

So let's give them more purpose;)

Maybe... A dream of mine for three years now. That tags would be useful for sorting, searching, creating collections/playlists, etc... Maybe in 2018 after Live Television is finished. That seems to be the only development focus these days.

We have plans for all those things for tags but the main problem is that the only source for them is manual entry which limits their usability significantly.  Still, we do have plans to utilize them much better.

Koleckai Silvestri

The ol' catch-22.

No one uses them because they are manual and they don't provide any benefit. Benefits aren't coded in because no one uses them.

CharleyVarrick

The snowflakes were interfering with page content, for instance I had a hard time getting and keeping hold of a movie menu (play arrow, 3 dots, played checkmark, favorite heart). 

As soon a a snowflake was within movie tile, I was losing focus on menu. For this reason, had to turn it off. Maybe just seasonnal colors/pattern, without animation would be preferable. 

Vidman

And technically I think Christmas and Halloween aren't really genres.... At least none of my media has pulled them as genres from online sources ( but then I don't know that I have any specially christmas/Halloween movies). So if they need to be added manually anyway I think tags make more sense

Actually looking at plot keywords it would seem to be more likely to pull down Christmas and Halloween as keywords, so maybe a combination of using tags and plot keywords to decide holidays theme media rather than genre