What does "Use local paths instead of addon redirect for playback" mean?

chrisoldroyd

chrisoldroyd

Hi

Been playing around with Emby and Kodi and this setting flashes up and I am not sure which direction to take. Can anyone explain what it means and what affect it would have either on or off?

I am a long time Plex user so any help switching would be great. Also I really need to get my home videos and fitness videos showing up. Can this be done without scraping etc like I can with Plex. I have them setup as separate libraries folders added in the server side but they don't show up in Kodi. Also what about music?

Thanks

Chris

post-81907-0-73631100-1450511342_thumb.jpg

Angelblue05

The setting will be rename to Playback Mode: Addon | Native (direct paths). Basically addon mode uses the plugin approach in Kodi, allowing to control what happens at playback. This allows for switching between directplay/direct stream/transcode, emby cinema mode. Native mode leaves Kodi in control of playback. The setting is more often used if you are using a low powered device or you use addons needing to see your content's directory.

Edit: Everything is scraped into Kodi via the add-on. It is not like plexbmc. Music is supported.

Edited by Angelblue05

chrisoldroyd

Thanks so on my Intel nuc i3 I should use direct paths for best performance?

How do I add home videos then as they don't even show up under Emby plugin?

Angelblue05

Home videos are not supported yet. They will be available in the next beta.

You can try either playback mode. Do note that if you switch the setting, you will need to reset your local database via launching our add-on, and let your content resync (so it inserts the proper path mode in the Kodi database).

I use a firetv stick using the Addon playback mode and it works good. What to look for is how quickly the playback starts with plugin path. If it takes longer than 4-5secs, then I'd suggest to switch to native (direct paths) mode. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chrisoldroyd

Thanks, it's pretty much instant. Any idea when the next beta will be available? I'm on the beta channel now.

Chris

Edited by chrisoldroyd

Angelblue05

I hope by sunday or monday it will be ready for testing, but could be a few more days. An announcement will be made when it's made available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Angelblue05
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
Hammerhead

Just logged on to ask this question myself.

So, for a HT system with Emby on a NAS and Kodi on a Shield head-end, which is the recommended method - local paths or Emby Plugin?

Note: I presume that if we use the plugin redirect method, we must be sure to use the 'path substitution' function in Emby, correct?

xnappo

Doesn't really have anything to do with 'path substitution' - that needs to be correct either way.

It is just whether the item in Kodi points directly to the path to the item, or whether it points to the addon, which then redirects to the path.  The first method is 'local paths' - the only time you really need this is if you are on a slow device and the time for the addon redirect annoys you.  Otherwise use the 'addon redirect' as it gives us more control over what happens at playback(transcoding support, remote access, cinema mode etc).

Edited by xnappo
  • Like 1

Angelblue05

Yes, but then your watched status will become out of sync. I guess an alternative would be to use the trakt kodi add-on, then you can run the trakt task when your server is back up.

breezytm

Yes, but then your watched status will become out of sync. I guess an alternative would be to use the trakt kodi add-on, then you can run the trakt task when your server is back up.

So if i lose connection to the server, any media I watched during that disconnect would never be sync'ed to emby?