How many backups is enough?

PBzeer

I'm sure most of you have much larger media collections than I do (4tb), but I'm redoing my storage system, so I'm wondering what most of you consider sufficient backup.

I currently save my media to my NAS (one bay, 6tb), then a copy to two external hdds. I just purchased a 4 bay hdd enclosure (jbod), and will split my movies (2.9tb), A-L, M-Z, between two 3tb disks, other media to a 2tb, and personal stuff and system backups to a 1tb. I intend to use one of my current externals as a disconnected (except when adding) backup.

That leaves me an all most full 3tb external of movies. So, what I'm wondering, is keeping 4 copies obsessive?

legallink

I think 4 copies is obsessive.  Backups are really intended to be offsite.  I use crashplan as a "backup".  4 copies on premise is not much more effective than 1 or 2 copies.

• Like 1

Spaceboy

I do one backup of my nas every 6 months or so and take the disks up to my storage unit. To lose more than six months of data requires both my house and the storage unit to burn down on the same night. I may go back to using my unlimited storage one drive but I'd want the backup encrypted and upload speeds are limited by MS

As I live on a boat, "off site" isn't really an option. Having lost all my movies once (waited too long to buy another ext.), I admit to being a bit paranoid about avoiding re-ripping them all again. One of the reasons for getting the hdd enclosure was to protect against accidental bumps (how I lost them before), and why I thought to disconnect the single disk external.

Deathsquirrel

I keep one complete external backup on HDDs that aren't connected to power or anything else.  That seems quite sufficient as I also still have the original discs.

Allan Cameron

I backup only to the cloud.

I have a few big storage plans that fit perfect. I just add another 1TB to my cloud as i need it.

No need to buy extra hardware.

Deathsquirrel

I backup only to the cloud.

I have a few big storage plans that fit perfect. I just add another 1TB to my cloud as i need it.

No need to buy extra hardware.

I hope your provider offers decent download speed.  My MIL tried to do a restore from carbonite and it was slated to take her about a week for a couple hundred GB.

legallink

As I live on a boat, "off site" isn't really an option. Having lost all my movies once (waited too long to buy another ext.), I admit to being a bit paranoid about avoiding re-ripping them all again. One of the reasons for getting the hdd enclosure was to protect against accidental bumps (how I lost them before), and why I thought to disconnect the single disk external.

That's awesome. Boat living it is. Although in your situation if a disk goes down and a backup goes down I think you have most likely a much larger problem of things going down.

Chris Jones

All my movies/tv shows are duplicated across drives using Stablebit Drivepool and i also backup to CrashPlan so there is an offsite copy.

Allan Cameron

I hope your provider offers decent download speed.  My MIL tried to do a restore from carbonite and it was slated to take her about a week for a couple hundred GB.

My speeds are very fast, I have a 120Mbps connection with unlimited data. I average about 4TB a month, sometimes much higher.

We have a topic about this on the plex forums, there are many people that crush my speeds and monthly usuage. Its very interesting reading about peoples usage and ISPs.

Edited by a1b2c3

Deathsquirrel

My speeds are very fast, I have a 120Mbps connection with unlimited data. I average about 4TB a month, sometimes much higher.

We have a topic about this on the plex forums, there are many people that crush my speeds and monthly usuage. Its very interesting reading about peoples usage and ISPs.

Not your general internet connection speed, your backup provider's speed.  Backups to carbonite are speedy enough.  Restores are freaking awful in my experience, for example.

Allan Cameron

Not your general internet connection speed, your backup provider's speed.  Backups to carbonite are speedy enough.  Restores are freaking awful in my experience, for example.

I don't use carbonite, all my files are backed up on FileFactory.

I have a lifetime unlimited storage plan and always get full speeds uploading or downloading. 100GB as you were talking about would take me a few hours to upload or download. They have some good pricing right now for Christmas, i have had my account for years. Love it and would not be without it. I would never even consider buying extra drives for backing up locally. I keep all my files on my account sorted by drives i have, so If one of my drives go down i just download all that data for that hard drive back onto a new hard drive. Works great, have only had to do this once so far, was an older HDD i used on my server in the beginning.

Edited by a1b2c3

Deathsquirrel

I don't use carbonite, all my files are backed up on FileFactory.

I have a lifetime unlimited storage plan and always get full speeds uploading or downloading. 100GB as you were talking about would take me a few hours to upload or download. They have some good pricing right now for Christmas, i have had my account for years. Love it and would not be without it. I would never even consider buying extra drives for backing up locally. I keep all my files on my account sorted by drives i have, so If one of my drives go down i just download all that data for that hard drive back onto a new hard drive. Works great, have only had to do this once so far, was an older HDD i used on my server in the beginning.

Fair enough.  My only experience with large size cloud backup was carbonite and it's awfully slow.  Personally I wouldn't even consider letting a third party have access to my files, backup or otherwise, but to each their own.

Allan Cameron

Fair enough.  My only experience with large size cloud backup was carbonite and it's awfully slow.  Personally I wouldn't even consider letting a third party have access to my files, backup or otherwise, but to each their own.

I couldn't care less if they have access to my files, none of my data is personal. Heck they may even find something enjoyable to watch lol 14TB of media for them to consume ;)

Deathsquirrel

I couldn't care less if they have access to my files, none of my data is personal. Heck they may even find something enjoyable to watch lol 14TB of media for them to consume ;)

The potential legal ramifications of putting a massive media collection on a cloud server are horrifying.  Once the courts or our congress clear up the question of whether the DMCA provisions against bypassing encryption trump fair use format shifting then MAYBE....but no, probably not then either.

im85288

I use Synology SHR with 1 disk tolerance, so if any disk fails (has happened once so far in about 3 years) I swap it for a new one and lose no data. Works well for me

legallink

Filefactory says it has an artificial limit of 5TB.  I'm not sure that would work for most media servers.