Switched phones, now asking for payment to view

ed20910

I have had Emby on my phone for several months now.  I switched from a Galaxy S4 to a Note 4 this week and now it is asking for payment to stream Emby, even on home network.  I don't recall purchasing the paid version of the app on my S4.  I have the same app on my tablet and 2 of my kid's tablets that i know i did not have to pay for.  Is there a reason the app is requiring me to pay the fee now?  Thanks, i love the app and recommend it to all that want to stream/share their media.

Thanks

Hi,

A long time ago the app was sold by a different developer. A year ago it was turned over to us and we gave you guys a year of free development on it. Going forward in order for the app to be able to support itself, we need to change that. Anyone who paid for the app under the previous developer will continue to have free access, and if we're not able to automatically detect this, then we'll resolve it for you manually. Additionally, every device that had been previously using the app for free will continue to have it for free. So it will continue to be unlocked on your Galaxy S4 and your kids tablets. But for new devices going forward, we are switching to this new model to put us in better position to support it and continue to add features to it. As always we thank you guys for your support.

If they're not in your household then yes. We thank you for your support and I do apologize but a one time payment to allow an unlimited number of people is not a model that will allow us to survive.

So if i start the app the first time in my network its ok?

(thinking of when im going away)

Just another cuestion, you cant ad for exempel a choose fore the server owner to buy licenses for the phone app so i can take the cost instead off the user?

(for exempel i buy 30 "apps" then 30 users can connect to the server without paying for the app (its the same money for you)

the reson i ask i because most off my users are kids that likes to se videos from there trainings and matches.    

/Regards

Question, will the web client remain free? Or is all of emby becoming a paid for platform, instead of historically where you only paid for the premium features such as trailers/sync/etc

So if i start the app the first time in my network its ok?

(thinking of when im going away)

Just another cuestion, you cant ad for exempel a choose fore the server owner to buy licenses for the phone app so i can take the cost instead off the user?

(for exempel i buy 30 "apps" then 30 users can connect to the server without paying for the app (its the same money for you)

the reson i ask i because most off my users are kids that likes to se videos from there trainings and matches.    

/Regards

That is an interesting idea and it is possible that in the future we might consider that. And yes - if the app signs in just once in-network, then it becomes included with the server's premiere license.

Question, will the web client remain free? Or is all of emby becoming a paid for platform, instead of historically where you only paid for the premium features such as trailers/sync/etc

No, nothing to worry about there. The web client will remain free.