CoverArt doesnt decorate all thumbs

El Gordito
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

El Gordito

Good afternoon all,

I am having a curious issue with the CoverArt plugin.  Not all of the thumbs found in "resume", "latest", and other areas, show up decorated in the web client.  I would guess about 80% of the thumbs get decorated properly, while about 20% are just plain rectangle pictures.

This happens to media I import via adding a library and when new media is added to an existing library path.  I looked through the log file and the only references to CoverArt are the ones telling me how long image enhancement took.

Is this a known issue?

CoverArt: v4.0.8.9

Emby Server: v3.0.5724.6

Client: Firefox (v38) and/or Chrome (v47)

• Solution

More than likely those items have no thumb images so what you are seeing is a backdrop with text overlaid on it.

• Like 2

El Gordito

Hi thank you for getting back to me so quickly. :-)

I suppose that could be, but most are pretty well known movies. Zero Effect, Heavy Metal, True Grit (1969), Three Amigos...

To be clear, are you saying that CoverArt will not decorate a thumb if its origin is a backdrop?

Thank you!

yardameus

It places the backdrop image in place of a thumb if there is no thumb (landscape) image.  Coverart doesn't treat backdrop, so it appears untreated.  Edit images of one of the movies and see if thumbs are available.

El Gordito

Yep. You got it.  The movies without a thumb are indeed showing the backdrop as the thumb - untreated.  

Not the behavior I would expect, but at least I know there is not an error.

Thank you!

Deathsquirrel

Hi thank you for getting back to me so quickly. :-)

I suppose that could be, but most are pretty well known movies. Zero Effect, Heavy Metal, True Grit (1969), Three Amigos...

To be clear, are you saying that CoverArt will not decorate a thumb if its origin is a backdrop?

Thank you!

You might want to check out http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/26330-some-thumb-images-i-couldnt-find-in-embys-metadata-sources/.  I created thumbs for some of those and shared them there.  I've been trying to post them to fanart but they make it a PITA as I can only post ten and then wait for them to get accepted before I post more.  It's slow going.

• Like 1

Not the behavior I would expect, but at least I know there is not an error.

What behavior would you expect?

The only other option would be to have a blank or no image...

El Gordito

How about an option to copy the backdrop to a thumb and apply the treatment?  

The reason I say it is not what I would expect; is it automatically uses a backdrop as a thumb when no thumb is available, but then doesn't fully treat it as a thumb... 

Edited by El Gordito

yardameus

The problem with that is that if at some point a thumb is added, it won't be scraped.  You can manually do this, just download another backdrop or create a copy and change the name to landscape.

How about an option to copy the backdrop to a thumb and apply the treatment?  

The reason I say it is not what I would expect; is it automatically uses a backdrop as a thumb when no thumb is available, but then doesn't fully treat it as a thumb... 

Probably not obvious from the user-perspective but this is the client interface that is doing this (using a backdrop in place of a thumb) so there is no way that CA could behave any differently here.

It is just better for the client to show something instead of a blank image.

• Like 1

El Gordito

Probably not obvious from the user-perspective but this is the client interface that is doing this (using a backdrop in place of a thumb) so there is no way that CA could behave any differently here.

It is just better for the client to show something instead of a blank image.

Well, yes, that does make sense. You are right, I had assumed (with all that implies ;-) that the server was delivering, in this case, a resized backdrop when no thumb was found.

Thank you for the explanation. 

All that said, what about adding the feature of "Generate Thumb from Backdrop when no Thumb Available" in the CoverArt settings?  Essentially, when CoverArt finds a missing thumb, it copies and resizes the backdrop then adds the treatment?

Thanks for entertaining the notion. :-)

A few folks have been working on a utility to do that (look in the tools forum) but perhaps one day we could add something like that to CA.