Aspect ratio in the Upcoming section problem

mini__me

mini__me

Just noticed I'm seeing the attached in the new iOS app and iOS Safari so posting here rather than iOS section as would appear to be a server side issue, not seeing it on Kindle, AFTV or ATV apps.

The scheduled tab seems to be ok and does not resize the images to fit the circles as I would expect to keep the aspect ratio of the image, see attached pic.

I see the squashed images for suggestions and recordings, all other sections of the app seem OK.

Edit: Just noticed, latest recordings on the home page are squashed as well.

post-1248-0-35116600-1448525586_thumb.png

post-1248-0-13020900-1448525605_thumb.png

post-1248-0-17712100-1448526428_thumb.png

Edited by mini__me

• 3 weeks later...

This feature changed some while ago to these 1:1 boxes from dynamic, but it's not working very well if the backend supplies posters as you can see. Could there be some options to change this to dynamic again? I could use 16:9 and 4:3 also, but they would show weird too.

post-14107-0-64830000-1450283154_thumb.jpg

Edited by Damstas

• 3 weeks later...

it is dynamic when we have the image dimensions but now that we're downloading on demand we don't have that information up front anymore

mini__me

Still happening on server Version 3.0.5785.0

Also noticed now in plugins as well, however on PlayOn for example first view displays a squashed image, if I hit back and enter the same item again the images are displayed in their correct aspect ratio...it doesn't do this for LiveTV however :(

post-1248-0-67358000-1452189800_thumb.png

post-1248-0-60126900-1452189809_thumb.png

mini__me

Oh you merged as I was replying....ok so how do some sections of the web interface display the images correctly and others not?

If you look at the second image of the program details I took in post 3 the aspect ratio is correct, also on the scheduled tab where the images are put in a little circle I can see the aspect ratio is correct within them?

EDIT: I'd rather miss some of the images and have them in the correct ratio as the Kindle app does rather than have a squashed image.

Edited by mini__me

With play on we download get the images on demand so we don't initially have the image dimensions. But then the second time through we will have them

mini__me

Not sure if you saw my reply prior to your last one, why do some sections of the web interface handle the images correctly, Program Details and Scheduled as an example?  (As can be seen from my screenshots)

What's different about they way those pages render the images?  As I said above, I'd rather have a cropped image with the correct aspect ratio (as seen in the Kindle App I have) than a squashed full image for anything like this that is pulled dynamically.

Edited by mini__me

Damstas

I understand the change applies to Emby's built in LiveTV function, but it doesn't work well if the plugin can submit different types of images. NextPVR can submit poster, landscape (4:3 and 16:9). None of these work well with the 1:1 box that is used. The images always have the same dimensions and Emby doesn't dynamically change the size of these boxes.

For example in this pic, all of the images are posters, with the resolution of 240x360, and are still in these 1:1 boxes and not dynamical.

https://flic.kr/p/CNtahk

You previously had dynamical on all of the pictures and worked very well with NPVR. Wouldn't it be possible to add a setting to enable this again?

post-14107-0-14781400-1452201049_thumb.jpg

Edited by Damstas

Damstas

Not sure if you saw my reply prior to your last one, why do some sections of the web interface handle the images correctly, Program Details and Scheduled as an example? (As can be seen from my screenshots)

What's different about they way those pages render the images? As I said above, I'd rather have a cropped image with the correct aspect ratio (as seen in the Kindle App I have) than a squashed full image for anything like this that is pulled dynamically.

I can also see images normally in these sections. Previously Emby used to dynamically change the "boxes" in the upcoming and recorded sections, depending on what type of image was used. Now it's only the 1:1 setting, which squeezes the image. It's not preferred and I would rather have an setting and be old school again.

It used to be like this, if the source gave poster image

post-14107-0-23523300-1430657717_thumb.png

and this, if the source gave landscape 16:9 image.

post-14107-0-76864500-1430657711_thumb.png

So basically it displayed the whole image before, which it doesn't now and that's not good.

Edited by Damstas

mini__me

@@Damstas yes I completely agree with you it definitely used to behave like that....as I said, if the goal is to fit the images to a 1:1 as in the Android App, I'd rather the Web Interface behaves the same way as the Android App and simply crop the image rather than squash it.

This must be possible on the Web Client as the scheduled recording page crops and scales the images to fit within the circle displayed but retains the correct aspect ratio of the image.

However I agree that if the images could be displayed natively as they used to then it makes everything 'nicer' though can lead to a lack of continuity of the images displayed, so I can understand the 1:1idea.

Edited by mini__me

Damstas

@@mini__me @@Luke There should be an option to use dynamical full images (like previously with EmbyTV) or cropped images (like with Kindle) in these sections. I think it would both of these problems. Devs?

mini__me and I would really appreciate support for these types added in Emby. :)

Edited by Damstas

Damstas

I also noticed that the upcoming Emby Theater uses 1:1 with LiveTV. Android TV / FTV use dynamical, which would be more preferred.

I'm happy to see that you use dynamic artwork with the new Emby Theater! :) iOS and Server still use 1:1 pictures. Waiting for dev comment.

• 4 weeks later...
mini__me

I've been offline due to moving house, and have just updated to server version 3.0.5821.0 using EmbyTV with a HDHomeRun and Schedules Direct and all these images are still not showing in the correct aspect ratio :(

Happy2Play

I've been offline due to moving house, and have just updated to server version 3.0.5821.0 using EmbyTV with a HDHomeRun and Schedules Direct and all these images are still not showing in the correct aspect ratio :(

Can you provide specific examples.

• 3 weeks later...
mini__me

I'm guessing that this is just something I have to live with then in iOS and Webclients?

Android and infact DLNA clients have the correct aspect ratio when browsing, so have a hard time understanding why the ratio cannot be kept. It's sad that I use the iOS clients for most control as they are the clients that are generally to hand being on Phone and Tablet and therefore the easiest option for scheduling recordings.

mini__me

Somethings somewhere has changed as its all good now in iOS which are my main uses outside the Emby Android app and Kodi :)

Still have the issue in Firefox but I can live with that :)

• 2 weeks later...